Raptor Expeditions????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pt2285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello, pretty much sure someone will yell at me for this but whom here is a member of Raptor Expeditions? i am very interested in their club and will most likely join but i have some question on their requirements and in the end is it worth it?

the radio requirement:
my field of work involves radios and the radio spectrum. i really dont want to install a 50 watt radio in my truck when i know i have smaller more portable options. anyone have any insight on the radio options how often is it really used.

navigation:
there has to be better options than the lowrance out there these days, but i get the standardization aspect of it. anyhow use anything else on their runs?

thank you for the insight and time, im sure someone from raptor expeditions will yell at me about this.. happy trails.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The two is required 100% it is very important for communications.

As for the GPS, I personally use a tablet with a built in GPS. It works very well and I've never had any issues. However, the . Lowrance works well too. And it's what they require....

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't been fortunate enough to go on a run with them yet but I am a member(live in the Midwest so it will be a while). Still doubt they would yell at you. Lowrance provides proven performance in the middle of nowhere and they use them to pre run. Therefore, it makes
sense to require everyone use the same format. As for the radio I personally run a 60 watt radio and have had to help relay when groups get spread out on trail rides. We don't even get spread out as much as in the desert.

While I see why you ask the questions, I think their requirements are fair and logical. Just my 2 cents. From the run reports so far it sure seems like it would be worth it.

Reddevil

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I am a member but have not gone on a run with them YET, but I had some of the same questions about the GPS. Send them an email or call them. they are very nice guys who are happy to answer your questions.

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We would never yell at you for asking questions. We are always happy to help new members prepare their trucks. Thanks for the responses everyone and yes we do have a few required items. We have found (members too after going on a run with us) that these items are needed to cover the amount of miles we do in a day.
The hand held radios have very limited range and are not a safe way to go if you need to talk with someone over 1-2 miles away. All of the RE trucks are now equipped with 150 watt radios.
The reason we require a Lawrance, first all of our maps are formatted to run on that format. Two, we have found with speeds our trucks are capable of running the Lawrance works the best for us.
Feel free to give me a call 925-437-2747 or email us with any questions and one of will get back to you.
Gordon

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To add to Gordon's post, the requirements we have in place are for safety and to make the runs as enjoyable as possible. GPS and Radio's allow everyone to spread out vs having to stay in each others site. It's sooooo much nicer being able to travel at your own pace and not be in someone else's dust all while having the confidence you won't get lost and can call for assistance should you need it.

We'd have a lot more members if we didn't have these requirements in place. However, safety and enjoyability/quality of our runs are more important to us.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a member and have been on a single run and found that the radio is essential. Even if you aren't talking on it much, a lot of information comes across it. Trucks pulling over and why, rest locations, unexpected obstructions, jokes, etc. I guess I can't comment on handheld vs. permanent install, but I imagine just trying to manage a handheld radio over the little mic would be obnoxious.

I have a semi-permanent install. I run a magnetic antenna that connects to an extension cable that is permanently behind the back seat. The radio is mounted under the glove box with the mic mounted to the GPS mount. That way I can pull the antenna and radio, tuck the wires up behind the glove box, and Bob becomes your uncle, no radio or evidence there is one.

As far as the GPS, you can definitely get by on non-RE runs with some other option, such as an iPad, but RE requires it because their maps are in that format and they don't distribute the maps until just before the run starts (for better or worse). So if you don't have a Lowrance, they would have to have all different formats on hand, which is basically impossible, or distribute the map well ahead of time, which I think they intentionally do not do.

If you are asking if a navigation system other than OEM is important at all, then the answer is absolutely. It is an entirely different run when you have a course mapped with cautions marked from the pre-run that they do the week before. It really allows you to pull the kind of speeds the truck is known for (100mph) while minimizing the chance you are going to hit a washed out ditch or giant rock that got uncovered or a turn with a right or acute angle (flexing a little high school geometry there). It really is the difference between tooling around with friends on the weekend vs. a race, even though RE runs aren't a race. It just gives you the extra confidence that you have a better idea on what is coming.

As far was being worth it. I don't see how it can't be. $75/year is very cheap for what they provide. I would pay that all day long to have someone pre-run the runs, mark cautions, and give me the file. I don't have time to do that. On top of that, they organize everything and go on the run with you. They bring a lot of experience with them from places to avoid to how to fix broken things on the trail. I was pretty new to desert off-roading when I bought the truck and they provide a safer way to really get up to speed both figuratively and literally.

Disclaimer, I am in no way affiliated with RE but feel like full sponsorship, including truck payments, isn't out of the question. I'll be waiting for the PMs.

Sgt Fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Gramercy Louisiana live in Biloxi Mississippi
I am a member and having the lowrance is nice, they load the maps and you drive like you are following your stock GPS to the store. The radio is a great idea because sometimes they have hazards or course changes and they announce those over the radio. Highly recommend joining, the trips are well planned and the RE staff ensure everyone gets to the finish while having a great time.

OP
OP
Pt2285

Pt2285

Full Access Member
Reaction score
answers my questions, so where did everyone get their radio installed @? i could do it myself but im out of the country for a bit and rather have someone do it so when i get home everything is ready to go. im in OC area but i can have someone take my truck somewhere.