Possible Internatioanl northern expedition

Does an Expedition in northern Minnisota and into Canada Interest you?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iown1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I live way the hell up in Canada! Well for Canada it is not that far north but there is truly nothing but trees and logging trails. It is right on the border of Minnesota, International Falls, MN and Fort Frances, ON.

I am thinking about putting together a drive that would start in International Falls Minnesota area and then travel north to Canada and drive the Fort Frances area mostly through logging trails nothing that would take great skill yet would definitely count as off-roading. no need to damage your truck but lots of opportunity to destroy it if that's what you are into.

Was thinking of including a little resort with cabins for the down time between exploring. Possible float plane scenic tour of the area before the drive. Some of the best fishing in North America in this area as well. So I'm told I hate fishing. Probably span 3 days.

What I need to know is what expeditions like this are charging per truck with two people per truck? (Children free possible family affair if interest in that)

What is involved in hosting one? (short list to get started not positive if I have the time to get it done but need an idea of what it will take)

How much interest would their be in doing something like this?

If money is left over what do organizers do with it? (give it back bit to everyone, prizes, donate to a charity in honor of the participants, etc.)

Just checking to see if I could put one together or if there is interest no real foot work done yet.

Thanks for your time.

Ron

Attachments

• Towns.jpg
    Towns.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Drive Canada.jpg
    Drive Canada.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol!!! Sorry, I just know that there are a lot of things to consider when it comes to planning a run. I tagged RW and Joe because I've been on a run with them (and will go on more that they hosted) and I saw how much planning they did.

Of course if yours is on well marked routes and more of a "journey" instead of a lead run, then it may be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Uhh @RaptorWifey @Yukon Joe

lol... Saw it, thought about writing him, but its just so involved that I don't really see a good way to handle it.

First off @iown1, Have you ever been on a trail style Raptor run? What do you think will make you a good lead truck? Do you have someone you can use as a responsible Chase Truck? How many trucks do you think you can handle and get from point A-point B safely and together. What will your requirements be? I suggest radios be at the top of that list.

First thing you should do is look up some previous run threads on this forum and try and get a feel of Lessons learned... I could send you ours, but if you are serious about putting together a run, you need to do lots of leg work and it'll be a great start.

What I need to know is what expeditions like this are charging per truck with two people per truck? (Children free possible family affair if interest in that
From the sound of your description, and you just starting out and not being a company, you should charge nothing. These style runs are just friends getting together and rolling as a group with some structure. Very similar to our Carolina meets. Your participants will be responsible on their own for any costs, hotels, meals, passes required, if you choose to make t-shirts, ect.

What is involved in hosting one? (short list to get started not positive if I have the time to get it done but need an idea of what it will take)
Alot! again, see lessons learned. But short list...Safety plan, planning routes, research on the trails, conditions, closures, and what if's (we call every ranger district and try and speak to an actual ranger), pre-running if possible, organization and planning on how to handle the group, communications, emergencies, extractions, closed or impassable trails, lunches, gas stops, bathroom stops, lodging, etc. Basically you must think of everything and what could go wrong. Plus you are talking about international. What if someone has trouble crossing the border, sounds funny, but not unheard of!
How much interest would their be in doing something like this?
??? Sounds like an interesting run, but you should really start a new thread to assess if there is interest... Put interest check right in the title, no need to mention prices or specifics... Again look up some old interest threads to get an idea on this.

If money is left over what do organizers do with it? (give it back bit to everyone, prizes, donate to a charity in honor of the participants, etc.)
See above.... Businesses use it as profit, runs like our donate it to either Charity or the Forest Service.

Good luck.

@Witchy may have some input on this.:crazy:

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. Not ready to commit though.
YJ & RW definitely a source for info, m3dragon also has some knowledge of such things.

BearLeeAsian

FRF Addict
Reaction score

lol. Found that kinda funny. I'll let it slide because I like you

And OP, I'll be interested. Also if The Buffalo Run happens this next year, you should check it out to get an idea of what may go into planning and also meet some of the great people's in this forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iown1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RaptorWifey thanks for the info. ya just want it to be a gathering and all for fun. I am starting to see some hurdles that are ones posed by more than the remote location. I have gained some things I didn't think of already. Sending myself back to the drawing board to get more detailed plan of what it would look like and driving difficulty level.

You are right I am just starting out and have no interest in running it through my business or making money. just good fun that the serious off-roader to the pavement queen would find fun.

Thanks for you time.