Not a "real" off road event @windrock.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those in the area and interested.

Hello Everybody,
We have a date and place for our next meet up, and with more than 7 days notice this time!

Run Details:

Windrock Park (windrockpark.com)
912 Windrock Rd
Oliver Springs, TN 37840
(865) 435-3492

Date: March 11, 2017, Saturday
Time: 11am - ?
*meet at General Store*
Cost: Windrock Park land use permit is $22.00 per person/per day (not per truck)

As you can see the plan is to run/climb the mountain on Saturday, that way anyone who needs to drive far can come in on Friday if they like and stay till Sunday. We want to start at 11am because it gets dark earlier this time of year and we need to be off the mountain by then.
I am including hotel information for the nearby town of Oak Ridge. Matt and I will be there Friday-Sunday. We plan to stay at the Double Tree simply because we have been there before and liked it. It has a restaurant and bar on site, and is also pet friendly for anyone bringing a four legged guest. But there are a number of other hotels in town if you prefer, just google Oak Ridge TN. It’s going to be a busy weekend, Windrock is having an event for mountain bikes, so I would book a hotel asap if you plan to stay.

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Oak Ridge - Knoxville
215 S. Illinois Ave
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
(865) 481-2468

There is a cost to WindRock, it is $22 per person, so anyone in your truck will need to pay that and get a wrist band. We will be meeting at the General Store on Saturday morning and you can purchase your permits there.
I’m attaching a trail map to this email, and we will have them the day of the event. At this time I don’t know which trail(s) we will be on, but I figure whoever gets there on Friday night we can all sit down and decide based on what everyone wants to do and the weather conditions. That being said, the plan is to stick to the “easy” trails and maybe some of the “moderate” ones. We want everyone to have fun but also not have to worry about getting stuck or breaking anything. This isn’t SnoBal or a TRR run:) Of course you are all free to run off on any trails you like if you prefer to do something different.

Radios, I know some of you have them and some of you don’t. Bring them if you do. I don’t see us getting separated at any point, but they are handy just to communicate back and forth. Matt and I will have a couple with us, so there should be at least one extra. If you don’t have one, don’t worry about it.

One more thing. We’ve been talking about making the Dragon run an annual thing. Who would be interested in that?

64f1bb8804c2cc7529b5148b703968cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my hotel room! Looking forward to getting together.
Wind rock is a cool park. Been a couple times, but it's been years, be interesting to see what's changed.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my hotel room! Looking forward to getting together.
Wind rock is a cool park. Been a couple times, but it's been years, be interesting to see what's changed.
Awesome. Looks like we've got the usual crowd plus a couple new people coming so far. You down for the Dragon being an annual thing?

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make sure you get to the flats. Also when we went a few years back trail 22 was fun. A bit nerve wrecking but fun non the less. Feel free to reach out to me, @Witchy, or @crazyups8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get to the flats. Also when we went a few years back trail 22 was fun. A bit nerve wrecking but fun non the less. Feel free to reach out to me, @Witchy, or @crazyups8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nate and Matt came to the Tail of the Dragon with us last year. They are also on an email chain where we discuss places to go, plans, and initiate get togethers. If you want you can PM me your info and I will add you to the email chain. We have a few other things in the works for later this year.

Christie (My wife) and I ran trail 22 the last time we were there I believe. I thought it was super cool but not very technical. I believe it is listed as a moderate trail. On this run we will stay to trails marked easy (Hence the thread title) as we have some participants not interested in damaging their trucks. People are welcome to branch off and run tougher stuff though. Maybe a couple of Gen 2 guys going. Hope you can make it out.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to next weekend. Email coming out tomorrow with final details. I'll post here also.ef3aafe01dfe1fbdd9a3d113d6162cab.jpg

Siber Express

Reaction score
I won't be going up to Windrock, (will actually be working both days) but might cruise up through Oak Ridge Friday or Saturday night.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't be going up to Windrock, (will actually be working both days) but might cruise up through Oak Ridge Friday or Saturday night.
No worries we'll be there so stop in and have a drink or something if you get the chance.

OP
OP
mmaterni

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Only a few more days till we're on top of the mountain (or king of the mountain) whichever you prefer:)

Just wanted to touch base with everyone before the weekend gets here.*The run is still planned to take place on Saturday. We will meet at the general store at Windrock Park 11am on Saturday morning. Christie and I will be getting in town on Friday evening. We should be there by 6pm at the latest, if I don't get called into work on Friday morning then we will be there early afternoon. We are staying at the DoubleTree Hotel. Planning on those of us already booked at the hotel or any of us/whoever wants to having dinner together on Friday night.

Saturday we are trying to plan food for when we are on the mountain. Since we don't know where we will be, or if we will be able to get down for dinner, we are planning a group meal on the mountain. Christie and I are going to bring meat and such for sandwiches for everyone. Feel free to bring anything you want to share. Right now we have 6 trucks confirmed with 8-12 people. Looking forward to seeing you all.

e3410dd896b67178998a62f6309accd7.jpg

Siber Express

Reaction score
Saturdays Forecast, 80% chance of Mud
SAT
MAR 11
PM Rain
47°28°
80% NE 5 mph 50%
UV INDEX SUNRISE SUNSET MOONRISE MOONSET
4 of 10
6:52 am
6:41 pm
5:57 pm
6:22 am
Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours will give way to cloudy skies and rain in the afternoon. High 47F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 80%.