Moab/monument valley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
Look at the Moki Dugway highway on your way from Arches to Monument Valley.

1344481.jpg

We did the opposite by going from Monument Valley to Arches so we had a climb. Going the route you go you'll be going down. Check out Valley of the God's at the bottom along with Goosenecks State Park. You'll be glad you did!

On the way to Monument Valley be sure to stop at the Forrest Gump spot... great view as you are heading to MV.

IMG_3441-XL.jpg

We did UT261 - I hated every minute of it, but she thought it was amazing. Lol forgot about the Forrest Gump spot - but oh well. Monument valley was beautiful, but the view was ****** up all week long. Hazy everywhere we went - arches, canyonlands, monument valley, grand canyon.. Wildfires. Hate em. Not only do they wreck the landscape, they wreck the view, too. Damn. Oh well. The only part of the trip that was a new stop for me (down south) was monument valley, and you could still see it well enough. I was impressed.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The road that the petroglyphs are on is potash road. Had to stayed on that road, it turns into a 4wd trail called Schaefer trail, and goes into canyonlands. You were THIS close.... Lol

Yes, I'm aware of the road. We were headed to Canyonlands. Up the road another few miles from the petroglyphs was a non-passable road block (state police). They were having a women's marathon race. We didn't want to wait for it to finish, then wait for everyone to disperse (they bussed in the runners in four big school busses), so we turned around and went elsewhere.

Also, the Moab Brewery is a great place to eat. South end to town. Bought a bottle of their gin they now make.

roybot

Reaction score
@exx1976

Dude, thanks for the amazing and thorough write up. I am printing that out for the trip as we speak!

So the plan as of now...I am arriving in Moab (driving from Vegas) on Monday afternoon/early evening.

Gonna do some rockclimbing and maybe mountain biking on Tuesday.

Wednesday morning I am doing Hells Revenge solo with a guide from Outlaw Jeep Tours. If you are in the area feel free to join...guide is already booked.
Right after Hell's Revenge, I am basically grabbing lunch and headed to do the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands. I went ahead and booked a campsite about halfway in...so I'll stay a night there and drive the second half on Thursday.
Trying to decide if it is worth it to do Moki Dugway (cuz it is out of the way)...if I am already doing the White Rim.
I plan to be in Moab till Saturday so if I have time, I'll try to squeeze in some short 2-3 hour drives in the middle of the day (using the mornings and late afternoons/evenings to do physical activities with my actual body ;)

Thanks for the tip about permits for Canyonlands...that is what made me realize I had to make a reservation for camping...and will def pick up a trail book when I arrive. Really looking forward to the trip but def worried about the heat. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues with the truck.

Sounds like you live fairly nearby?! If so, and you want to join for any part of this, let me know cuz I'm always down to meet new people. I'm staying at the Inca Inn (going budget since no family with me).

OP
OP
E

exx1976

Reaction score
@exx1976

Dude, thanks for the amazing and thorough write up. I am printing that out for the trip as we speak!

So the plan as of now...I am arriving in Moab (driving from Vegas) on Monday afternoon/early evening.

Gonna do some rockclimbing and maybe mountain biking on Tuesday.

Wednesday morning I am doing Hells Revenge solo with a guide from Outlaw Jeep Tours. If you are in the area feel free to join...guide is already booked.
Right after Hell's Revenge, I am basically grabbing lunch and headed to do the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands. I went ahead and booked a campsite about halfway in...so I'll stay a night there and drive the second half on Thursday.
Trying to decide if it is worth it to do Moki Dugway (cuz it is out of the way)...if I am already doing the White Rim.
I plan to be in Moab till Saturday so if I have time, I'll try to squeeze in some short 2-3 hour drives in the middle of the day (using the mornings and late afternoons/evenings to do physical activities with my actual body ;)

Thanks for the tip about permits for Canyonlands...that is what made me realize I had to make a reservation for camping...and will def pick up a trail book when I arrive. Really looking forward to the trip but def worried about the heat. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues with the truck.

Sounds like you live fairly nearby?! If so, and you want to join for any part of this, let me know cuz I'm always down to meet new people. I'm staying at the Inca Inn (going budget since no family with me).

No problem! I'm a big believer in sharing knowledge, happy to help!! I went out there mostly blind, with no idea what to expect except for watching some YouTube videos.

Hell's Revenge, huh? Brave! That's one of the harder rated trails. The chick at the offroad shop told me the truck could do it, without a doubt, but I Wasn't brave enough to tackle that my first time out. We were only in Moab for like a day and a half, so... LOL Maybe next trip. We'll see.

White Rim is on our list for next time. Good plan on the campsite. The trail is over 90 miles long, and they say to allow 2 days to complete it. I believe you can technically get onto the trail without even going into the park (but you still need a pass, so you'll have to) by going up Potash road and going up the schaefer switchback trail. That should pop you out right near the entry booths.

The heat did actually cause issues with my truck, which is why I knew about the Ford dealer, and the fact that they don't stock anything. Due to the altitude and the high heat, I actually boiled my coolant. It started leaking out the fill cap on the overflow tank. Took it to the dealer the next morning, they pressure tested the system, said everything was good, flushed the coolant, and put on a new radiator cap (which they ordered). Problem solved. So, if you don't live in heat/high altitude, I'd change your radiator cap as preventative maintenance, and make sure your coolant is good before you go. Cheap insurance.

That's cool that I was able to give enough info that you think I'm nearby. LOL I just do lots of homework and spend some time exploring stuff when I get to a new place that I'm going to stay for a few days. I actually live in Wisconsin, so.. While I appreciate the invite, I must regrettably decline. :)

Mike175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info guys thanks for sharing. I've got the off-road guide book, Rand McNally atlas, annual park pass, park brochures, and researched and planed but more is always better.
@roybot I will be there Sunday evening through Tuesday around Moab, and Arches before heading on if you see a Gen1 Black screw with NY plates.

roybot

Reaction score
@exx1976 Aw man...crucial tip about the coolant and radiator cap. Was it just a stock radiator cap that they replaced it with? Stupid me wasn't even thinking about fluids (just tools and spare tires)...man I got so much to do this week! LOL. Still modding my truck to get it as dialed as I can before i head up there (just an excuse to work on the truck).

For Hell's Revenge I would def not do it on my own (blind spots WAY too big)...hired a guide like someone else on the forum. We'll see how it goes. I'll post photos and video when I get back.
@Mike175 I'll def keep an eye out for your truck man. Mine'll be the White Gen 1 SCREW with Cali plates. Unfortunately our overlap will be pretty short since I prob won't arrive till Monday night (driving from Vegas)...but will def keep an eye out.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Can't wait for this trip to be here except for all the work I still need to do to get ready.

RK

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome guys, drove through Moab late summer of 2017 on my way to Houston for work. Still here but would like to make a trip back in 2021. The area is absolutely gorgeous and looks to be a lot of fun.