Important Rule Change to the Texas Raptor Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Guys,
BRT and I have been working hard to produce a top notch event for Raptor enthusiast across the US. In doing so, some safety precautions have to be taken. Safety gear, helmets, driver awareness are just a few things that we came up with to keep everyone safe on the run. We decided on group speed limits to keep everyone driving within their skill limits. Everything was presented to our insurance company, and their response was tepid at best. They did not understand the concept of running a stock truck on a race track.

After much battling we were able to get them to insure the event on the stipulation that the track had a 45 mph speed limit for non caged trucks.

Safety is precedent at BRT events, and the same culture is going to be carried over to this event. We talked about the speed limit for a long while, and feel that it won’t be a bad thing. 50 Raptors on course together, with varying skill levels and modifications that allow faster driving could be a recipe for disaster without some sort of controls. Just remember this. Jesse James won the Chupacabra 300 at Texana last October. His fastest lap (and the fastest of anyone that day) was 1 hr 5 min. That is an average speed of 39 MPH, and his truck has triple the travel and double the HP of yours. The track has some fast sections (about 10%), but for the most part it is technical. I can promise you that it is just as much, if not more fun, pitching the truck through corners at 30-45 mph, than running down a fence line at 70.

Everyone will be responsible for policing themselves on this, we will not be setting up with radar guns or anything crazy like that. I know how shocked I was when I got the news, so I know how upset everyone reading this is. I was going to post this yesterday, but I figured everyone would take it as an April Fools joke. It isn’t a joke, but it shouldn’t be a deal breaker either. I can promise you that the fun factor for this event will be extremely high.

As you all know, this is the first event of this type on private land ever, but it won’t be the last. We are already looking at dates for a second one in 2012, and more in 2013. One bad accident and that will all be out the window. Our hope is that, once insurance realizes that we are running a safe event, they will allow us to increase the speed limits. This all depends on everyone staying safe and ensuring the safety of those around them.

If you are having second thoughts about the event, don’t. I promise that it will still be a Raptor-load of fun. If you have any questions, or want to yell, please call me. I would much rather explain everything over the phone. I don’t mind if everyone that is going calls. I want everyone to be assured that the event is going to be great, and that the speed limit isn’t going to affect your fun.

Thanks
Trey Palreiro
361-522-3520

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
45 sounds slow, but its different off road. Feels much faster than you are really going.

Exactly. I really pushed for 50, just because it sounded so much better than 45.

The straightaways may feel a little slow, but there is only around 5 miles of straight-straights, and each of them has a gotcha in it that has sent race cars tumbling.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

April Fools Joke?

I was going to post this yesterday, but I figured everyone would take it as an April Fools joke. It isn’t a joke,

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45 off road is going to feel like 100+ on the road. This event is still going to be a blast and well over the driving ability for most folks out here.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Being a first time event, this sounds like something that needs to be done. I would like higher speeds since we are all signing a liability release but its no big deal. Are we maintaining the same A, B, C, and U classes?

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No limits for SPRSNK with his cage. I am sure he will wind that new Beast out. Better let him start in the front and give him a lead to let the dust clear. After he makes a lap, he has to take a 1 hour break to let everyone finish. Hahahahahaha

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Being a first time event, this sounds like something that needs to be done. I would like higher speeds since we are all signing a liability release but its no big deal. Are we maintaining the same A, B, C, and U classes?

Classes will stay the same. Straightaway speeds don't take skill, carrying speed through corners does. If you feel that you will be able to stay closer to 45mph average, choose your class according to that.

U will be caged trucks only (aka SPRSNK Class). The guys with the big shocks will be at the front of group A.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just the sight of 50 raptors together is more than enough reason to drive 700+ miles.
Plus to meet some of these nutballs in person (BDRAG) and the rest of the FRF family.
The speed doesn't matter to me...

-Greg

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Just the sight of 50 raptors together is more than enough reason to drive 700+ miles.
Plus to meet some of these nutballs in person (BDRAG) and the rest of the FRF family.
The speed doesn't matter to me...

-Greg

Thanks Greg.