Hey NorCal folks (or those willing to come to NorCal): Up for some High Sierras?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any interest in a High Sierras trip in the spring? There are a bunch of Raptor friendly trails and routes that follow various rivers and streams full of wild trout, that might allow us to hit between 30-50miles in a day (dirt and pavement mix) set up camp and fish into the evening? I've never been a fisherman, but I would love to give it a try with those who know what they're doing. Looks like there might even be a couple opportunities to do a little river rafting too if ya wanted too.

Please keep in mind this will NOT be your typical Raptor run type trip. It will consist of logging trails, old rail road paths (tracks are gone), flumes, water crossings, mountain climbing, roots and ruts and mud... basically I'm thinking 5mph average off road and maybe 35-50mph on road. And camping will consist of finding an undeveloped clearing probably near a lake, river or stream bank, or maybe even on top of a mountain ridge.

I'll start piecing together routes and stuff if there's interest. Anyone?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome!

I was reading my Backcountry Adventures: Northern California book, and it looks like there's some great stuff in the general area of Shaver Lake; Dinky-Trimmer Road, Brewer Lake Route, Bald Mountain, Big Creek Railroad, Bear Diversion Dam, Onion Springs, Ballon Dome, Mount Tom and several others.

Are you familiar with any of 'em? I've never been up there, so lots of this would be new to me. I might even make a few day trips to try these routes before everyone came out, just to be sure...

Boostin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm most definitely in! Raptor got built today and should be here in a couple weeks. I've only lived in NorCal (SF) for a couple years but haven't had a capable off-road vehicle since I've been here so I've got no idea what's good. The first weekend I have the Raptor, I'm heading north to do some exploring thought.

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like fun, keep me in the loop too. I'd also like to see a trip into Nevada, around Reno/Sparks/Carson/Moon Rocks, for some real Raptor high speed fun.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I might be able to make the trip. I'm planning a trip sometime in Summer to do the Dusy Trail in Rhinos...I love the Sierras!

oilman

Reaction score
I would like to make the trip, I'm in Reno and go over to Cali all the time when you get some dates let us know.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Sacramento and would love to get to Reno or somewhere in Nevada and do some desert running...know of any good places?

Another Renoite here. I did a run with a local 4X4 group over the summer that would great for us- ran from Spanish springs to just outside of Fernley.
lets put something together.