Colorado Raptor owners, Need your help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy from Az,
Im planning to go to Denver this summer to visit my kids (no date set yet) and want to get in some off road trips in the Ouray area on the way there. I've always wanted to do it but am finally getting the opportunity. I've been through Silverton to Durango many years ago in a car (yuck), but now want to see some of the real San Juan mountains. I wont have a lot of time, but plan on devoting a couple of days to it.

SOOOO, where should I go? I want to get in some of the passes in, but not the too difficult ones. My wife will be with me and I dont want to freak her out. I'll be coming from Phoenix and ending up in Denver, should be some great scenery in between.

What would you recommend? Any websites that will get me up to speed on the area?

mobob

Reaction score
Last year I did Stoney Pass out of Creed over to Silverton with a side trip to Kite Lake about 3/4 of the way to Silverton. We then took Engineer Pass back to Lake City. Took us two days at a slow pace with camping, but could be done in one if traffic cooperates. Definitely worth the trip and not too difficult, just bumpy and slow in spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take 550 north out of Durango and go to Silverton. Right at the intersection you take to go into town, there is a gas station on the left. Go inside and ask for a map for the Engineers Pass road. I can't remember the name of the lower pass road, but it is a little easier. Engineer Pass is epic!!! Either route will take you over the mountain and into Lake City, CO. Once you get into Lake City, go back west and head to Ouray. Some great places to stay there. Get some trail maps and head north. That whole area is full of some great, challenging trails.

Have fun!!!