Canadian River Run (Texas Panhandle)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandtrooper29

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planning stage

Anyone interested in participating in a 40+ mile river run. ( one way) Looking at possibly weekend in late April or early May 2014.

As far as I have found out this has been done by jeeps and others but never done by raptors. ( It doesn't seem that many raptors do know about this area). Been out there a few times, with people saying have seen any but mine.

This will consist of sand, some potential nasty mud (so I have been told) and of course water (from a few inches to 24" to 30" crossings)

Over night and would like to plan some night ride

BBQ and cooking

It will not just be raptors but would like to have a good number to represent.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! I've been getting Raptor owners together here in the PNW for the past two years and it has always been a blast. Any of you in the local area to CPRDude that have never been out on a group drive should hook up. Make some new friends and have fun!

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I wish I could make this. Those are my old stomping grounds and I have been out there several times with other groups. I have only made it out there once in my Raptor:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f112/canadian-river-red-river-nm-6760/
IMG_2808.jpg

How far do you plan to go? East or west (or both) of Hwy 87? I would definitely say to watch out for mud if you get in the river bed. There have been several vehicles that were recovered years later after getting stuck and almost completely submerged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sandtrooper29

sandtrooper29

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could make this. Those are my old stomping grounds and I have been out there several times with other groups. I have only made it out there once in my Raptor: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f112/canadian-river-red-river-nm-6760/ How far do you plan to go? East or west (or both) of Hwy 87? I would definitely say to watch out for mud if you get in the river bed. There have been several vehicles that were recovered years later after getting stuck and almost completely submerged.

Planning on going west of 87 to boys ranch bridge. If everything works would like a few of us to prerun, to make sure it is not to nasty.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Years later????
Yup. Ran into a guy out there who was pulling a Suburban out to sell for scrap. The Suburban had been in the river for a couple of years. He had an old 1 ton truck with a big winch in the back of the bed, with the line wrapped around the frame of the Suburban. When we first went by, all that was showing was about 12" of the rear of the frame and part of the back doors. When we came back several hours later, the back three feet of the Suburban was sticking out (he was folding it over on itself). I have also run across a truck were only the top 6" of the cab was visible. Granted, both of the vehicles were likely out there when the river was high (and possibly the drivers) and being stupid.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Planning on going west of 87 to boys ranch bridge. If everything works would like a few of us to prerun, to make sure it is not to nasty.
I have not done a whole lot on the west side. The farthest I have been is the railroad trestle. If the river is low (very likely, give the drought) it should not be bad at all.

hackleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPR, im interested. Never done deep water crossings before. Hopefully the water stays on the outside! Will we be camping?

I know nothing about permits and all that. Maybe check with treypal and see if there is any paper work we may need.

OP
OP
sandtrooper29

sandtrooper29

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes to camping. And the only permit required that I know off is the Texas OH sticker. $16.00 per vehicle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truth. I was a river rat out there for 20 plus years, mostly dirt bikes, 3 wheelers, quads and sand rails. Really miss it. A ton of fun trails and one chicken creek - those that are "chicken", you won't cross that one lol. On a bike or quad ya have to pop a wheelie and keep it up to get across those currents.

I knew of one guy that wanted a different ride, so went and bogged his 4x4 truck down out there near the Boys Ranch train trestle and then claimed it had been stolen. Insurance came through big time.

There are some nasty quicksand bogs along that River. And a few other surprises. Snapped a femur twice. And that was my last time there.

Last edited: