Barstow to vegas questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SJMICP

Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking to check out the Barstow to vegas route with my buddy who has a full suspension 02 f150. My buddy lives in vegas so I'd probably spend take the scenic route there spend the weekend in Vegas then take the roads home. My truck is stock and from what I've read lowrance gps would be a good idea. I Won't be flying since itd be my first time out and it's a stock truck, but my question is do I need any suspension work prior? Is there cell reception anywhere? Do I need a cb radio to call for help if something happens? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking to check out the Barstow to vegas route with my buddy who has a full suspension 02 f150. My buddy lives in vegas so I'd probably spend take the scenic route there spend the weekend in Vegas then take the roads home. My truck is stock and from what I've read lowrance gps would be a good idea. I Won't be flying since itd be my first time out and it's a stock truck, but my question is do I need any suspension work prior? Is there cell reception anywhere? Do I need a cb radio to call for help if something happens? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

If the trucks can make it bone stock through the Baja 1000 the power line road to Vegas will be a piece of cake. Yes, a GPS and a radio would probably be a good idea.

dmarriott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can follow power lines from prim to 10+- mile east of Barstow with out lowrance & if I remember right it was on factor NAV. You can really fly down this trail but watch for dry wash crossing & in rocky climbs the road had a few spots where half the trail washed out. Have fun!

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With the Lowrance, you can map it out on Google Earth and then transfer it to the GPS. It won't be 100% accurate like it would be if you recorded it on the GPS, but it will keep you from getting lost. Probably not necessary for powerline to Vegas, but it wouldn't hurt.

Also, if you are radio shopping, you want a VHF radio, not a CB. They look and feel the same, but are different frequencies.

Cell phone reception is VERY spotty and you should always plan to not have it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive done that exact route myself with stock suspension, but at top perch, its not an issue, watch out for wash-outs. You should never go by yourself though, be prepared with the proper gear and keep in contact with somebody the whole route. And take lots of pictures and share with us!