2017 RAD events – Area 51, Salton Sea, Mammoth, Pony Express, Black Rock, and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
We don't need no hotels!!! We can cuddle in the bed of my truck [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2017--blackrock-228x228.png

Black Rock Trails – March 4 - 5

The first of the 2017 event year starts off with a fun adventure weekend that has an out and back format. Day one we be driving the Fly Geyser / Black Rock Trail. Covering 259 miles of mixed terrain, it will be quite an adventure. The mid-day lunch point includes seeing the Fly Geysers and a fun run down the Black Rock dry lake bed, or as you may know it, Burning Man. On the way back to the hotel, we will also make a stop to see an un-named mine. Sorry, there are no details on it other than it was an old copper mine.

Day two we will head to our poker run 4 area with the emphases on exploring. We will be covering 200 miles of trails and visiting 4 mine sites. This day is meant to be a little more relaxed, with some smoother trails and less adventure trails. Our goal is to be back to Reno by 6:00pm for dinner so people can start to make the trek home.

* Hotels are billed at a group rate with taxes included.
* Whole Foods boxed lunch includes sandwich, pasta salad, fruit, cookie, and soda.
* Port o Subs boxed lunch includes sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie, and soda.

*Weather note*
With all the wild weather as of late, we have alternate trails planned in case of rain before the event. These trails are more about exploring, with several stops at abandoned mines. We would only use these trails if the event is under threat of rain, in order to avoid a mud fest.

Pre Event hotel
Date: March 3rd – Pre-event night
Hotel: Western Village
Address: 815 Nichols Blvd, Sparks, NV 89434

For those who are there early and wish to meet for dinner, we will meet at the following brewery. If you plan on attending the dinner, please make sure to note it on the registration form.

Date: March 4rd
Address: Carolina Kitchen and BBQ - 950 Glendale Ave, Sparks, NV 89431
Time: 6:00pm

Day 1: March 4 – Black Rock
To start, we will be heading out on a loop north, which will end in Fernley, NV. We decided to get a hotel for this run so that the following day we only have to drive 10 miles rather than 40 miles to get to the trail.

Day 1: Meeting Location
Address: Shell - 8755 N Red Rock Rd, Reno, NV 89508
Time: 7:30am
Depart: 8:00am – Trip begins.

The first leg of the day will have the longest section of pavement in order to get to the main trails. The trails for the day will be a mix of open terrain and lake beds.

Lunch stop will be at Black Rock Lake Bed
Address: Gerlach, NV 89412
Time: ~12:30pm arrive with 30 min for lunch

After lunch, we will head along the Black Rock lake bed and then turn to the lake for a fun run down the lake bed to the fuel stop for the day.

Address: NV-447, Gerlach, NV 89412

The last section of the day will be the adventure trail section, which leads up to an abandon copper mine. This section of trail has a lot of tight turns and a few areas where you get to work on your transitions over the terrain. By the end of the day, you will have earned your beer, in a fun way of course.

Address: Best Western - 1405 E Newlands Rd, Fernley, NV 89408
Time: `6:00pm

Dinner for end of Day one will be in Sparks at Mary & Moe's Wigwam.
Address: 255 Main St, Fernley, NV 89408

Day 2: March 5

Day two will be an open terrain trail day. We will be headed to four mines to explore the forgotten past of Nevada.

Address: Best Western - 1405 E Newlands Rd, Fernley, NV 89408
Time: 7:30am meet up in parking lot
Depart: 8:00am to head to trails.

Lunch stop will be around noon at the 3rd mine stop. After exploring the mines, we will have some open terrain trails to explore as we head back towards Reno for dinner. We should be off trail earlier on this day so people can begin to make their way home in the evening.

Dinner Stop for those who wish to join in some local brew’s.
Address: Great Basin Brewing - 846 Victorian Ave, Sparks, NV 89431
Time: 6:30pm

For those who have a longer drive home, you are welcome to keep on trekking once we are off trail. The dinner stop is the last planned event stop for this weekend’s adventure.

Register for the event on the club site:
Black Rock Registration

narlimon

Reaction score
I'm already signed up.
looks like it will be fun,maybe even a bit wet and muddy by the looks of the weather.
If you go LUGNUT maybe we can caravan,Im on the SF peninsula.