The Whole Enchilada - 2017 Tecate To Cabo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the time of year that I head down to Baja to get away from the rat race a little and enjoy what Baja has to offer in the way of sun, tacos, and beer!

This year the group will include @Dan06, @RDFTS, @BearLeeAsian and myself.

Our 9-day trek will have us crossing the border at Tecate Saturday morning, after navigating thru town we will get on the Compadre Highway thru the pine forest and then a stop for tacos in Valle T.

After a few tacos and liquid refreshments we will make our way thru San Matias to El Diablo dry lake bed, after an 100+ MPH run across the hopefully DRY LAKE bed we will take the "easy way" into San Felipe via the Zoo road.

Day 2 will have us heading east towards Morelia Jct., once we make it thru the wash to Morelia road we will turn south to the top of Matomi Wash. Matomi is always an adventure, and I'm sure this will be no different!

Once clear of the wash we will continue our run south to Gonzaga for some tacos and refreshments.....see a pattern here! After we fill up our belly's and the trucks we will continue south to see if one of Baja's famous characters is around at Coco's Corner!

At this point we will hang a left and head thru Frogs Canyon.....after testing the depths of Frogs Canyon we will make our way to El Crucero and then hop on the highway to our destination for the night at Cataviva.

Day 3 will take us north on the highway a little ways before we turn west to the Pacific coast, but before we hit the beach, we will have to navigate thru the trees and some of the deepest silt around......better have those tow straps ready.

After the run down the beach, passing some of the most epic surf spots along the way, we will turn east towards our final destination of LA Bay, but not before a stop at San Borja Mission.

Our forth day on the trail we will head south along the Gulf Coast, stopping along the way to check out some of the best scenery that Baja has to offer. Once we are done there we will head west to the ruins of El Arco and out to the highway, turning towards San Ignacio, our destination for the night.

Day 5 will have the group heading across the salt flats and silt to the Pacific Coast, turning south thru the fish camp and towards our lunch stop at San Juanico. After some tacos we will head to La Purisma and then east across the mountains to Loreto.

Our sixth day will have the group heading out early for the longest day of the trek to La Paz. After passing the mission at San Javier we will hit the river crossings and ranchers roads towards Insurgentes. At this point we will cross Highway 1 and head south on the EAST side of the highway, a route that SCORE hasn't used in over ten years, we will pass thru San Luis Gonzaga before crossing the highway to transverse the silt beds of Santa Rita.

Once everyone makes it thru the silt to the beach, we will continue south towards the lighthouse at Punta Conejo. Once past the fields we will turn towards the mountains and drop into La Paz via the famous Stone Steps.

The seventh and final day on the trail will find the group heading south down the middle of the peninsula towards a lunch stop to check out the waves in Todos Santos. After that we will head up into the mountains toward our final destination of Cabo San Lucas, but first we must navigate 150 miles of tight, off camber and slick roads. Think Big Bear (SoCal) Mountain!

After a restful night at the Marina in Cabo, and a date with Sammy Hagar, gods willing, the group will make the 981 mile trek north staying Saturday night in Gonzaga before heading up the Gulf Coast back to the good'ol USA on Sunday.

The total trail mileage for the trip will be 1257 in the dirt, 245 transfer miles, and 981 miles back to the states for a total of 2483 miles

Mluis11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoy and be safe fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
K55's is my favorite surf spot. you guys will definitely have a great time. need me some Indian tacos... have fun and take pics.

OP
OP
Sano Dano

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an amazing trip, Dan. I'd love to do this trip sometime. Next year maybe?

-Rob

Sounds like a plan.....we typically go for a week or so either early December or later in the month, early January.

In the mean time let me know when you head out to desert, maybe I'll be free that weekend.