Raptor Expeditions " El Scorpions Baja Run"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor Expeditions

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
El Scorpions Baja Run 2016

6b815_3fb446d1684544b6a8bb5d455e30d61b_zpstxixkfxk.png

With the anticipation building in the months prior to the El Scorpions Baja Run, the crew was super excited to get back down to Baja following an amazing prerun. We had planned to try and hit the 1000 mile run marker and with that said the prerunning was quite a task. But, true to normal Raptor Expeditions form, we pulled off what we knew was going to be the best run to date!

0154162340046800_6969832016863180739_n_zpsadhsrnnx.jpg

Day 1 The group of El Scorpions Run participants met up just north of the Tecate border crossing. Once everyone had arrived, we introduced ourselves, stickered-up with the Raptor Expeditions truck numbers and handed out our sponsored Oakley bags containing some great merchandise. The group consisted of some returning seasoned veterans and new Baja virgins.

Shortly after 10.00 am we crossed the border into Mexico and proceeded a few miles down the road to the first trail of the day. We familiarized ourselves with radio and GPS usage and allowed the drivers to set up. The trucks started off at two-minute intervals to avoid dust. This new trail was purposely planned to get the Baja blood flowing!

IMG_4189_zpst2rzdxxe.jpg

Only 47 miles long, the trail consisted of a wide variety of what lay ahead for the next few days - from fast flowing roads to more technical, tight-and-twisting rock sections - sure to get the drivers warmed up.

Shot%202016-05-23%20at%2010.07.32%20PM_zpsuoijg8zl.jpg

Raptor Expeditions team member and Jack-of-all-Trades Mr. John Flischer managed to put his Raptor into a huge hole - luckily he was towed out without damage! Here I might mention that John was also on the prerun, and might even have said that “the hole was pretty big” at that time!

IMG_4222_zps3ypzx2r7.jpg

IMG_4228_zpssynk3obs.jpg

We made our way over to the Compadre Trail to what I would describe as the most fun Raptor friendly trail on this run - that is, if you like fast two-car wide drifting corners, with a multitude of crests, pitching hills and endless miles of “S” turns.

Shot%202016-05-23%20at%2010.05.41%20PM_zpswwbwxies.png

0Shot%202016-05-23%20at%209.46.09%20PM_zpshowa0ros.jpg

Then comes a fast paced section through the mountains of Ojos Negros which had been freshly graded, allowing us to enjoy the soft, newly swept dirt road.

The drivers made it safely over the 120 mile section and we had a short highway drive to the historic Horse Power Ranch for out first night’s stay.

10154162339441800_161887634312035003_n_zpsjsdjsmdf.jpg

0154162339401800_2821421350688461683_n_zpsx8wkqh2a.jpg

We were met by the Ranch Care Taker with some much needed cold Cervesas and one of the best steak dinners in Baja.

IMG_7203_zpsguhaykr9.jpg

IMG_7182_zpsvva2qj97.jpg

The group relaxed around the bar and, with ear-to-ear smiles, told what I like to call “one time in Baja” action-packed stories of both past and present driving. We then prepared for what lay ahead on day 2 of the 2016 El Scorpions Baja Run.

Day 2 With last night’s stories a vivid memory, the group was excited to begin making new memories on day 2. We met up for breakfast in the main lodge around 7 am and had a short meeting of the day’s trail, then took a slow highway drive through the town of Ensenada to refuel the gas-thirsty Ford Raptors. Then came a 25 mile drive down highway 1 to Santo Thomas, to a turn off through the mountains and toward the beach.

Shot%202016-05-23%20at%2010.03.24%20PM_zpsc4heeuuj.jpg

he mountain roads are very well maintained and allow for some super high speed driving and drifting from almost every corner.

IMG_7221_zpsgx39ydz5.jpg

Shot%202016-05-23%20at%2010.06.23%20PM_zpsjejfn6hi.jpg

Just when you wonder where does this trail end, the Pacific Ocean comes into view, as we peak the final crest of the trail. From here it is all downhill, right to the beach trail that will run us through vast farmlands, small towns and fishing villages

0154162339481800_1402921714802787826_n_zpsttmdtcgp.jpg

0Shot%202016-05-23%20at%209.40.01%20PM_zpsdh591tqy.jpg

Shot%202016-05-23%20at%2010.06.46%20PM_zpsy1n97ydp.jpg

The sight of a dozen Ford Raptors driving through the town brings out the locals, young and old, to wave us on. There is nothing quite like the look on the faces of young kids when handed some Raptor Expeditions stickers. The group paused for several video shoots and to take in the view of the Pacific Ocean and surrounding terrain that makes Baja so simply beautiful. The weather was perfect, just a little overcast, and as we had caught the run just a few days after a recent rain storm, there was little or no dust, allowing the drivers to keep a close pace with each other.

IMG_7257_zpsjl6dda6c.jpg

About 45 miles in, Connor is on the radio, telling us to stay close as we will be going off course. The Raptor Expeditions Crew conducts an exacting prerun on every Baja trip in advance of the actual event. All drivers are required to be equipped with a VHF radio and GPS, with the trail hi- lighted before the run. The use of these two instruments is crucial to success. The VHF radios are tuned to an exact frequency, and allow the drivers to talk to each other, even at high speeds. Drivers can communicate on what is coming up hard, or if there are any potential hazards. As in this case, Connor was going to leave the current trail marked on the GPS and take a smoother one on the beach, which had not been prerun. This is sometimes a risky move, but the Raptor Expeditions Crew have extensive Baja knowledge, and know when they can afford a little off- trail adventure. This new trail panned out, as it was faster, smoother and more scenic, and who has never dreamed of driving their Ford Raptor on the beach in Baja?

0Shot%202016-05-23%20at%209.40.01%20PM_zpsdh591tqy.jpg
DSC01092_zps9mkvcc5a.jpg

As we drove down the coast I was amazed at the beauty of this magical place. It is truly a moving experience.

About 20 miles later, we were back on the marked trail, heading to a GPS point called Chase Hold One, where we met up with the Chase trucks and drivers. If needed, the Ford Raptors could be worked on by the Raptor Expeditions mechanics, who can and did handle every mechanical emergency on the trip. The feeling of breakdown anxiety was never a question with these “Baja Ninjas”. Luckily for us, the Chase Hold provided a quick rest and a chance to refill the coolers. The extremely well outfitted Chase trucks are known as Chase One (the Mothership) and Chase Two (the Tanker), and carry enough factory Ford and aftermarket parts to run a small dealership! Every night during the run, the Raptor Expeditions mechanics made their rounds of all the trucks, addressing any concerns and mechanical issues.

IMG_4919_zpssljoevzi.jpg

IMG_7536_zpswa4hi10u.jpg

We said farewell to the Chase drivers Ken and Oscar, and continued on to the next GPS waypoint named Shipwrecks.

IMG_7247_zpsucpe0mbr.jpg

No kidding, a ship that had beached itself on the rocks, looking as though it had been there for many years, was literally forty feet away. Old and rusted, she had broken in two and made for some incredible pictures. We had our photo op with the shipwreck then got back on the trail to head to our night destination at San Quintin, some fifty miles further.

The entire group was more than a little surprised when we exited at Highway 1 to see Connor pull straight into the local car-wash. It is one thing to put your truck through some of Baja’s dirtiest terrain and muddy it up, but as Connor said, you might as well keep it clean and looking good doing it! So, we filed into the car-wash that set us back a whopping $5.00 each, and made some new friends while standing around. Then we were off again to the hotel, the Santa Maria, at San Quintin for dinner and a much needed rest.

IMG_4392_zpsuihemfjy.jpg
IMG_4373_zpsdf0tjk6i.jpg

Day 3 Connor had verbally prepared us for day 3, this being the longest day of the trip, roughly 250+ miles, with no gas stations for refueling. The day’s route would consist of two huge loops around the Cativina part of Baja. As we departed the Santa Maria towards El Rosario (our starting point and last opportunity to fuel up) I couldn’t help thinking of how these Baja Banditos aka the Raptor Expeditions guys come up with this shit! I mean, I see their social media posts about prerunning, mapping Raptor friendly trails and doing all the calculations, but nothing compares to seeing it firsthand.The logistics alone would cause even the most organized person to go insane! I sit back and listen to the Raptor Expeditions guys tell us what lies ahead and all I do is nod my head in agreement. In real terms, that means “I don’t know what you just said - but I’m in”. Connor and his crew have a very calm way of telling us we have a huge day ahead, so we must conserve gas as there are no gas stations for hundreds of miles. So again I nod my head and smile, while inside I shake like a nervous kid on the first day of school! I told myself if I didn’t trust these guys by now, well then ????

I hear Connor instructing his crew to pull Chase Two (the Tanker) in, and fill the 55 gallon drums so we can fuel up later that night. Once again, I have to laugh and ask myself who thinks of all this stuff?

IMG_7412_zpsnhefb0of.jpg

On to the first loop we go setting a good pace on the somewhat smooth road, the Raptor Expeditions guys leap-frogging around us, getting video of all the action. Before we know it they are on the radio saying passing on the right, only to find them perched on a hill, shooting more video.

The trail was incredible - I mean, truly amazing - wide open, drifting, and we spotted a lighthouse and fishing camps along the way. Even the thought of conserving gas was a distant memory, as we passed cactus fields, rock formations, wild life and beachside trails, and my personal favorite, doing 360 degree drifts on the beach. I think “how long till I can go back to Baja?”. No phone calls, no emails, no having -to- do’s - I think it’s called freedom - and I understand what Connor and his crew treasure about this awe-inspiring place.

IMG_4646_zps3kxpmwfw.jpg

IMG_7329_zps0gv55xd2.jpg

IMG_4605_zps7vxho1yd.jpg

0Shot%202016-05-23%20at%209.55.51%20PM_zpsq6dxexgd.jpg

By the second loop, my adrenaline had overcome my tiredness, and I felt like a child on Christmas morning! My Raptor and I had developed a distinctive relationship over endless trails with linking high-speed turns. I knew just how to push and weave her into the corners, then gear her down to launch myself out. The sun was beginning to set by the time we reached the turning point to take us from the beach back through the mountains to the Highway. then I got my first taste of Baja silt. For those who don’t know what silt is, the best way to describe it is: Take a 5 gallon bucket of baby powder, get a box just big enough for you to fit in, and have someone pour the powder into the box -all this while jumping on a trampoline. This equates to not seeing shit and driving by braille.

IMG_1623_zpsirsfzzsb.jpg

IMG_7391_zpsqmh7kfbi.jpg

0154162339166800_6900218489502051157_n_zps9tuzefed.jpg

0154162339186800_5238787950007233435_n_zpsasgyj9t1.jpg

I pop out of one of the multiple silt-beds only to find a Raptor Expeditions crew guy working on a blown power steering pump. Twenty minutes later the new pump was on, bolts tightened, while a jolly old chap, Randy ( a Raptor Expeditions veteran) was cooking sausages on his camping cooker for everyone! My face probably said it all - I mean, I had a hard time finding space for my clothes bag, never mind a cooker and sausages! This guy was a piece of work, but Randy offered me a sausage which I gratefully accepted and devoured like an African hyena. Thanks, Randy !!!!

IMG_7404_zpsvjrvzbip.jpg

IMG_7401_zpswz2nhpaw.jpg

With the night sky over us, the group turned on their KC HID Offload lights and we made our way to the end of the trail. We traveled a short 15 mile road section to the hotel, to meet up with Ken and Oscar in Chase 1 and 2, who pulled into position so we could re-fuel the thirsty Raptors from both sides. At the Cativina Inn we were treated to a well-deserved carne asada style BBQ and we told the day’s stories.

Day 4 In Baja some on-road driving is a given and although some of the roads might as well be parts of a race course, day 4 was no lazy driving day. The entire crew, a little weary and still rubbing their silt filled eyes, drove the crossover road to Coco’s corner. We pulled in and met the Baja Icon who was more than happy to sell us a beer and have us sign his book of travels. I had a chance to look at his house and his collection of “stuff” which I never knew existed. Goodbyes said, we headed for Highway 5, to travel North back up the coast of the Sea of Cortez, by far the most beautiful part of the trip.

IMG_7447_zpskpjxgmor.jpg

IMG_4999_zpsho6hqeby.jpg

The air temp was in the low 90 degrees, the turquoise blue ocean and white sand beaches all spectacular. We stopped at Gonzaga Bay for fuel and snacks, and checked out the beach front houses,complete with small planes in their driveways! Someone is doing it right! We continued on Highway 5 (or what I now call the Baja Pump track). When Connor said use caution, he should have said supercross- style- dragon’s back- jumps ahead, pot holes, dips, jumps” and yes I mean tons of dips and jumps. I think I even encountered a step up or two! After white knuckling the road of studded doom we made it safely to San Felipe.

We regrouped and made our way to the famous San Felipe Whoops for about 5 miles, then joined Zoo Road - don’t know why, as no zoo animals were seen. One Raptor encountered a small problem but once again the “Baja Ninjas” were there to check it out.

IMG_7483_zpsumykkcmf.jpg

The other drivers went ahead through the whoops and over the La Salada dry lake bed. Night fell as we made our way on a 30 mile Highway drive to turn off at the famous Mike’s Sky Ranch.The road up to Mike’s consists of several tight and twisty turns, with mountains on one side and a sheer drop 30+ foot cliff on the other. Driving this road was crazy enough, but doing it at night added to the white knuckle experience. We made it safely just in time for a much needed sleep.

IMG_7473_zpsxzqd5sjh.jpg

IMG_5142_zpszkasmrig.jpg

IMG_5134_zps7sj6g4wm.jpg

Morning came faster than expected and with it an excellent breakfast which was devoured in minutes. We tended to a few trucks and hit the trail for the final day.

Day 5 On our last day in Baja, the group made our way back down the road from Mike’s to Highway 3. Seeing the 30+ foot drop off in daylight was a bit nerve-wracking. We met back up with the two Chase trucks and headed for the final trail of the run. The group would not see any Chase support for the rest of the day, since their route took them around the mountain to the final Chase hold at the finish. We made our way North on a high speed trail, drifting one corner after another. The surrounding mountains were breathtaking to say the least. The trail was like a roller coaster ride, lefts, rights, rolling hills and even the occasional jump - just enough to get us airborne. Connor remained in constant contact over the radio calling out potential hazards. We rounded the final turn and saw the highway ahead!

0Shot%202016-05-23%20at%209.37.15%20PM_zpsluenybb1.jpg

0Shot%202016-05-23%20at%209.39.09%20PM_zpsto14gc21.jpg

At this point we all knew the run was over, but I would bet my last dollar if Connor had said “I know another trail.......” we would have all been in! Exhilarated with our adventure, we made our way to the U.S. border crossing, and said our farewells - until next time. Good friends, good times!

The Raptor Expeditions El Scorpion Baja Run 2016 was complete!

If you are interested in going on Baja Run Please check the web site. The next Baja Run is in September and will be going from the USA boarder to Cabo.

Raptor Expeditions