From the Ocean to the Sahara desert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fb73

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Day 3 & 4 : It was now time to leave the Atlantic shores and get deeper in the desert. We got trough some smal cities, check the pictures attached, looks like some eighties old photography, but no, that was taken last week !!

Marokko is all about ginormous flat landscapes with totally straight trails lasting for hours...Some were a bit boring because difficult and slow, but most of the trails were the absolute playground for the truck !

At the end of day 3, I got close to blow a rim on some bick rocks while drifting the truck on the rare turns I could find, good memories haha !!

At the beginning of day 4, our guide let us doing some GPS navigation trough the "Barkanes", a flat land with a lot of isolated dunes you cannot really go through, so it was a hard time finding our way at slow speed...

Attachments

• DSC_0642.jpg
    DSC_0642.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0658.jpg
    DSC_0658.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0500.jpg
    DSC_0500.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0972.jpg
    DSC_0972.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Fb73

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally have some time to post some more photos of my trip in the Sahara...

@JanT @ivo1.cox @Yukon Joe

So after reaching the desert, it was time to put the truck at test on the trails that were famous during several years in the "Paris Dakar" race...

Day 5 : Our guide wanted to show us a part of the Atlas, a mountain relief that actually splits the whole country in half...We had a lot of chance because the trails was actually beiing rebuilt, and the old trail was now a ginormous gravel road like 30ft large, I felt like running on pikes peaks lol, I reached the speed limiter several times on this trail, the whole day was like racing the Baja !!

Day 6 & Day 7: We left the moutains and headed to the sand desert, where the trails start with a famous dry lake called "Iriki", which is surely my biggest "Aww shit" memory : the lake is known to be almost perfectly flat and very smooth to ride with a mix of some kind of a sand and dust...Needless to say this the place where every offroad enthusiat will push his machine at its limit ! So I started blasting trough that lake which is almost 25-30 miles long, at speed close to 100mph, and suddenly I spot a large series of whoops like 1.5ft deep (weather was a bit foggy actually), was even too late to brake...First whoop wasn't that bad, but the others...Well...I just felt I blew up on a landmine !! After the disaster I immediatly popped out of the truck to check the shocks and frame, and I was lucky enough to see nobody was broken/bent...Conclusion : Always pre-run these high speed sections lol !!

Then it was time to leave that dry lake and enter the Sahara dunes, deep sand where running 2wd isn't an option...The IWEs held good, we passed some very soft sand sections where the 400hp was even a bit short to get out and gain some speed easily, my gas mileage on that day was 5.6 MPG, that's the only moment I needed the extra fuel I was carrying in the bed haha !!

Attachments

• P1110251.jpg
    P1110251.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0555.jpg
    DSC_0555.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0189.jpg
    DSC_0189.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fb73

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was about time @Fb73 ! Been waiting to see more of your trip, i can only say i'm jealous. Next time please invite us too :hitit: scenery looks amazing there, i bet you remember that trip long time.

@JanT I'm looking for another trip in maroko this year, after our meeting in May, I may have something for August but a bit later like September/October would be perfect...I'll keep you in touch when I find something good, I feel you could pull the trigger on that kind of trip lol

jdruzik

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^After going through this thread and enjoying all the images I have to hand it to you for a fantastic journey. Outstanding...