ICON TRR13 Treypal's writeup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Last year we had 50 Raptors that came out to the first annual Texas Raptor Run. This year it doubled. 100 Raptors. 40000 hp. Hello Ford? Are you listening???

I have to admit that I was a little worried that with this many trucks something would go majorly wrong. A bad wreck, major carnage, someone hurt. Fortunately nothing went wrong, and everyone was great. As a whole the group was really respectful of the land. Their trucks, that's a different story. I heard so many axles banging bumpstops and frames, I lost count. Everyone drove hard, surprisingly everyone left under their own power. That doesn't mean that there isn't some trucks with some serious frame tweakage though. We had two broken rear upper shock mounts. Dylan from Icon graciously rebuilt the upper mounts in both trucks. No smashed fences, no smashed exotic animals. Just a bunch of guys (and girls) getting a taste of dirt.

My whole goal with this deal was to get more people into desert racing. The Raptor is a great vessel to get people into the sport, and I wanted to show people how awesome desert racing is. The Beals brought out one of their TTs that was about 100 miles shy of the motor coming out, so it was a perfect scenario for them. We sold rides to benefit a MX rider who was recently paralyzed on the ranch, and got about 15 people the ride of their lives. Including my wife, who says we can buy one just as soon as we can afford it. We had to cut the rides short when a lifter started knocking. We figured out that the truck had about 1502 miles on the engine. It was really cool to be able to show everyone the top of the top in desert race cars.

For me, I try to make this event as fun as possible for myself and my family and friends. I think we accomplished that. It's awesome working with the ones you care about, and seeing something really cool come together. Seeing all of those Raptors in a line at dusk for the exotic animal tour is amazing. One Raptor with parking lights on looks cool. 100 looks downright incredible. Myself and the TRR staff want to thank everyone for coming out, respecting the land, and respecting each other. With attendees like you the decision to do more events is an easy one. Be on the look out for more information about a smaller run at a new track near Cameron TX that will happen Fall of 2013. Also keep an eye out for a trip in Colorado this summer, and another Baja run sometime in 2014.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with ya trey last year was amazing having so many awesome raptors an people there! But this year blows that out of the water! Can't wait for next years TRR! Or if it works out the next event at the new location later this year! We can't thank you enough for doing all this trey. You're hard work and sacrifice to put this together shows when an event like this goes so smooth!

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cameron Texas? 154 miles, I'm there, that's a day trip for me.

I enjoyed both my times out there. My only suggestion would be clinics, especially from vendors/pro drivers/Ford.

I have learned a ton about off road vehicles from this forum and it's members, but there is still quite a bit I don't understand yet.

a couple of big ones for me:

1. rock crawling / approach angles / technique
2. winch usage - i've only ever used mine in the past to pull people out of ditches, which is very easy, never needed it for getting myself stuck
3. table top jumping - I know insurance will probably negate this but having someone (*cough* Rich *cough*) show us the right way to jump.
4. more esoteric mods - rear ends, half shafts, benefit vs. cost etc...

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had an awesome time again Trey, you and your team really know how to host an event. I'll be looking for the info on Cameron

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score

I enjoyed both my times out there. My only suggestion would be clinics, especially from vendors/pro drivers/Ford.

I have learned a ton about off road vehicles from this forum and it's members, but there is still quite a bit I don't understand yet.

a couple of big ones for me:

1. rock crawling / approach angles / technique
2. winch usage - i've only ever used mine in the past to pull people out of ditches, which is very easy, never needed it for getting myself stuck
3. table top jumping - I know insurance will probably negate this but having someone (*cough* Rich *cough*) show us the right way to jump.
4. more esoteric mods - rear ends, half shafts, benefit vs. cost etc...

Thanks for the advice. I'd love to do some clinics, but the liability associated with it makes me really nervous. I could see us doing some for things like #1, #2, and discussions on #4. As far as actual driving instruction, the only way I would do that is if a company that does that for a living came in and did it.

Other clinics I can think of.
1. Packing and securing gear.
2. Prep (What to prep each trip, year, etc).
3. Little hacks like moving the wiring harness where it's below the frame.

I'll see about putting a few together for the Fall Farm Run.

Once I get out to that track I'll put together some footage to show everyone. It's a neat place, no rocks, sandy soil. It will make a great Raptor track.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score

800 miles, I'm there, that's a day trip for me. :wizcow:

Trey, just don't make it during the end of Sept-begining of October. Dubbs, Sportscars and myself are all in Terlingua at that time.

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, you did a hell of a job trey! Defiantly keep me informed about upcoming events in Colorado and Texas. Thanks again for putting TRR together :head3:

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, you did a hell of a job trey! Defiantly keep me informed about upcoming events in Colorado and Texas. Thanks again for putting TRR together :head3:

pickles, you sir have one hell of an avatar!

Now I can't even remember what this thread was about

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T