Exploring Black Mountain, Cuddyback Lake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did some exploring today, looking for some new routes... stumbled upon some amazing trails, beautiful scenery, and an all around great day trip. Here are some highlights from today's trip...

Started looking a bit gloomy, rain in the forecast, but we were hoping the sun would break through, looking at the clouds ahead!

img5213w.jpg

Luckily, once we climbed the Cajon Pass, things started looking great... and we were soon rising above the gloom and doom we left from below:

img5215d.jpg

Here's the start of the day... Leaving the Barstow area, heading North-Northwest towards black mountain, which you can see way in the distance:

img5217nu.jpg

Made quick work of the open dirt which entertaining as the clouds rolled past creating super dark and super bright patches as we drove. Soon, at the entrance of Black Mountain area:

img5221iw.jpg

This entire route is petroglyph heaven... some areas are narrow passages, lined with rocky walls on both sides, with literally HUNDREDS of petroglyph drawings all over them. It's a pretty amazing sight, and you can walk these rock lined paths for hours looking at all of the ancient artwork. Some of these date back 10,000 years... CRAZY.

Petroglyph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is one example of the rock passages we visited today, and a few of the drawings I snapped a photo of... very cool stuff.

img5248z.jpg

Appears to be a few big horned sheep:

img5224j.jpg

img5243u.jpg

img5244sm.jpg

img5250zs.jpg

After that, we continued on the trail through the canyons of Black Mountain... enjoyable trail, VERY FEW whoops, scenic as hell, and just an all around beautiful cruise while enjoying the surroundings. Stopped a few places to snap some pictures, as great photo ops were everywhere...

img5229d.jpg

img5231iz.jpg

img5235ck.jpg

img5239p.jpg

img5241b.jpg

Soon, we stopped for a quick lunch and a few minutes to relax, while the storm clouds contemplated dumping on us... luckily, they never did, but allowed for some incredible shots.

img5253p.jpg

Eventually, our route led us to Cuddeback Dry Lake... one of my favorite off roading spots. Been coming here for years, since I was into the RZR's, and now with the Raptor. It's 6 miles across, PRESTINE, and rarely another vehicle in sight. You can have fun and get some great shots!

img52602.jpg

After that, we drove across the 395 to California City... a city that was developed and plots sold before any ground EVER broke on any of the housing developments in the 50's and 60's... So from your factory nav, you would think you're in the middle of a busy suburban neighborhood:

img5263f.jpg

In all reality... you're here:

img5264op.jpg

From there, on the way home we decided to stop at the north entrance of Edwards Air Force Base... to see their B-52 on display. Pretty awesome to see how huge this thing is.

img5265p.jpg

Stopped for food and drinks on the way home... then was met with snow when taking the Cajon Pass south back towards LA... luckily, we missed the bulk of the storm and made it through the pass without issues.

img5281k.jpg

All in all, amazing day... can't wait to run some more of it in the future.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Beautiful scenery, sunny day. What more could you ask for.
Great photos, thanks for sharing.

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
California City is nice for off roading. Wide open and really nothing around. I have made my own race track there in the past. Just have to watch out for the dirt bikes.

OP
OP
BlueSVT

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was watching Mythbusters last night, and they tested their rocket car on the same lakebed pictured above! I thought nobody else went out there, as I NEVER see anybody out there. I was all excited when watching it, and my wife was just rolling here eyes at me!

Lake Cuddeback... over 5 miles long and 2 miles wide, pristine lake bed with nobody ever on it.