EXO - Escape from Reno Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Give us a follow on fb @ www.facebook.com/expeditionxoffroad

--
Update:

Here's a quick trailer from the trip:

--
Originally, we planned to do a low key prerun - 5 maybe 6 trucks tops. Somehow the list kept growing. Before we knew it we had 14 trucks going.

Normally not such a big deal as we’ve done runs with 20+ trucks before. The difference this time was that 60% of the route hadn’t been scouted before.

The gang met up at 8am in a Safeway parking lot on the outskirts of Reno.

19062944646_1491ee91f3_b.jpg

Originally, we planned to do a low key prerun - 5 maybe 6 trucks tops. Somehow the list kept growing. Before we knew it we had 14 trucks going.

Normally not such a big deal as we’ve done runs with 20+ trucks before. The difference this time was that 60% of the route hadn’t been scouted before.

The gang met up at 8am in a Safeway parking lot on the outskirts of Reno.

Almost right off the bat we ran into issues. The GPS file wasn’t showing up on some of the newer Lowrances. We squared that away after wasting an hour.

We finally headed to the trailhead and got moving. The trail was a lot of fun right off the bat. Really worked the trucks suspension but allowed you to keep a solid pace.

Unfortunately, the trial dead-ended at a locked gate. I also noticed I had picked up a nice gash in my tire and it was now flat. Good thing I had 2 spares!

Austin would quickly follow my lead and got a flat of his own.

18369301855_7c688f7f64_b.jpg

The gate being closed was very disappointing as it meant we just wasted an hour and would need to back track. The trail had been ran a couple years ago from the research I’d done. After we spoke with a local at a gas station, we learned BLM had sold the land just 6 months prior and the new land owners had put up fences almost immediately.

Once I got back to the trailhead, Gordon took off to find where we could meet back up with the trail. We were still waiting on 5 or so trucks to make it back to the trailhead so I sent Andrew off after Gordon with the first half to keep the group moving.

Within 15 minutes we had the rest of the group. We wouldn’t be moving for long as Austin noticed a vibration coming from his front suspension. Upon inspection, we discovered his lower control arm nut had come loose and was gone. The bolt was barely holding on by a couple threads.

Luckily we had a spare nut. However, it was in Gordon’s truck so he had to come back. Another wasted 30 minutes. While we were waiting I decided to check all the lower control arm bolts of the 7 trucks in our group. Turned out 4 of the 7 were loose! Let this be a warning – prep your truck and make sure everything is torqued down.

After we fixed Austin's truck we hopped on the freeway and drove down to meet back up with the rest of the group at the new trailhead.

Again, this section was awesome. Even opened up into two lanes of perfect whoops for the Raptors.

Next challenge of the day would be a gnarly silty hill climb. A lot of trucks had trouble keeping the revs up high enough to make the climb. It took us 45 minutes to get everyone up but we did it and everyone was excited to have tackled the obstacle. The views once we made it up were pretty neat

Jeff decided to get a nice running start for his assault on the hill.

18342890276_3363354c0e_b.jpg

18369293565_5cffbb94f5_b.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the trucks got in the way so he had to take evasive manuevers and almost ran into my truck...doh!

18369294725_bcbed41b09_b.jpg

Joey taking on the hill climb

18181574340_979a62f73b_b.jpg

Read the rest of the story here: expedition-x-offroad

Last edited:

GBrown1867

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great run and I am looking forward to your run report J. You have some really good stories out of this run.
Thanks to everyone who came out and supported EXO on this run and most of all, thanks for all your help on the trail. This was one of those runs we all had to pull together.
Looking forward to many more.

slowjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff had good reason to be on that roof. Not waiting to get struck, twice ;)
An absolute great time had by all, can't wait for the write up Bigg50!

OP
OP
B

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jeff had good reason to be on that roof. Not waiting to get struck, twice ;)
An absolute great time had by all, can't wait for the write up Bigg50!

Can't wait for the final write up Bigg. Always a good time running with EXO! Looking forward to the next run with everyone!

Thanks guys - great having you as always! Rip to the Strip is going to be epic haha

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an awesome time, Im bummed I had to cut out of the run early but working on getting my truck back to 100% for next time. Still had an amazing time though completely worth it.