Barnwell Mountain / Gilmer, TX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
My buddies and I planned a quick weekend trip to Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area a couple of weeks ago. Here is a link to the trail map: Map. The park had nice scenery and was not crowded at all the weekend we were there. The trail ratings are three years out of date and it shows. I had heard that Barnwell was tight on funds, which was holding up trail maintenance. The trail map is not very good, and several of the trails are unmarked. Supposedly one of the Dallas FJ forums has a good map from GPS traces, but they do not share it outside of the club. Width is an issue for us, but what is new. Otherwise, the Raptor did great.

Along with my truck, we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Hummer H3 and a JK Unlimited. We drove in and set up camp at the Jeeps of North Texas Camp site. Here are a couple of views of camp:
01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

I was able to find a little hill to get some air:
06a.jpg

Dropping down off of the main trail, heading up to Sierra Skyview:
06c.jpg

07a.jpg

07c.jpg

Dropping down onto Scorpion Overlook:
09.jpg

09a.jpg

10.jpg

No hill descent needed w/ low range :)
10c.jpg

11.jpg

15.jpg

We went to the right onto what I think was Whatever and ran into a mud hole. The stock BFGs are awful in the mud (not a surprise).
17.jpg

19c.jpg

The H3 went through ahead of me and he got stuck coming back out:
21.jpg

We turned around and went down what turns into Claude’s Ravine:
22a.jpg

24.jpg

We tried Pine Hill Run, but the farther we went, the more narrow the trail became and I wasn’t quite ready to sacrifice that much of my paint.
27c.jpg

I had a tire a couple of feet off of the ground on this section with awesome articulation, but no one got a pic. Back down Claude’s Ravine:
28.jpg

31.jpg

Passed this guy going the other way:
32.jpg

Now for the ravine portion of Claude’s Ravine. We scoped it out first and none of us wanted to try the ravine portion (pictures don’t do it justice). The bypass was very narrow, so I had to take an alternate line and we squeezed the truck through some trees.
34.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

40.jpg

43.jpg

45.jpg

Looking down into the ravine from the JK on the narrow portion of the bypass:
45a.jpg

We stopped at Camp ECOR for lunch and a group shot:
96.jpg

Some of the scenery:
99.jpg

The last trail we hit before going home was Linda Gail:
60.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very very very cool. Wish I lived closer...

Thanks for sharing.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Attaboy Will! Glad to see someone out four wheeling in their Raptor :thumbsup: It's a treat to see your pictures and I'm get even more interested when I hear that 4-letter word: CAMP as in camping :)

That's quite a diverse group of 4 vehicles you had. I'm sure your Raptor did as well as any of them except in regard to the limitations due to vehicle width. I've found the Raptor to be a very capable truck and the limitations are most readily found in the driver's seat :mrgreen:

What are those things in the picture and on the ground? Oh right, those are trees and leaves HA HA We don't see many of those out in the desert.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Awesome post Kaiser! This is an excellent pictorial description of a good trail run!
And yes - the camera can never do it justice - it is definately something one has to be present for to experience all the angles, traps, and treacherous (I think that's how it's spelled) terrain that could eat a truck.

And FYI - I have hit some pretty nasty trees so far, but the scratches all buff out. Although that 6" fallen pine did a little number on the rear fender - but like you confirmed - Raptors are a fair bit wider than most other trucks...

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
We went to the right onto what I think was Whatever and ran into a mud hole. The stock BFGs are awful in the mud (not a surprise).

Agreed - that clay you were running in packs the tread quickly - these are not mud tires!

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kaiser, great thread Bro!
Nice pics too, looks like you guys had a good time out there.
I especially love the pic you posted where the little ravine is between your tires.