Arizona - The Back Road to Crown King

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milhouse

Reaction score
Last weekend we got together with a few friends and headed up the Back Road to Crown King. For anyone who hasn't done this run in a while, I can tell you it's totally doable in a SuperCrew Raptor. Every challenging spot has a bypass graded in now, so if you're not feeling really brave you can just skip it.

Happily, our beast didn't have to bypass anything! We went with friends in a Tacoma (TRD Off-Road package), a Wrangler Unlimited with 33" tires and a 3" lift, and a bone stock Wrangler Sport.

There was lots of doubt that something as big as our Raptor could handle all the rocky-crawly stuff without tearing her up, but in the end we only scraped once on the skid plate. What's the point of having a skid plate if you don't skid every once in a while?

The Tacoma skipped EVERYTHING. He just bought it and didn't like the idea of scratching her up. :whymewhyme: The lifted Wrangler did just about every obstacle except for the one in my first picture. He doesn't have lockers and figured he'd just destroy his tires. The bone stock Wrangler also skipped everything. I'll give that guy a pass though. His wife had never gone four-wheeling and was pretty much freaking out the entire day.

If you're in Arizona and haven't done the Crown King run, I highly recommend it. It took us about 4.5 hours and was a blast the whole way up. Once you get up there, there's a few bars and places to eat in a cool little town. Heading back down the main road home only takes an hour so the whole deal makes for a great day trip.

The route we saved from Motion-X is here: https://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&q...om/shr/x/kmz/33272cfb7a688ac89dd66acfe8a8881d

Just zoom out a bit to see the whole route.

Attachments

• crownking_01.jpg
    crownking_01.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 57
  • crownking_02.jpg
    crownking_02.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 43
  • crownking_03.jpg
    crownking_03.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 42
  • crownking_04.jpg
    crownking_04.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 51
  • crownking_05.jpg
    crownking_05.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 39

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about this and would like to try it myself. Being an AZ native, I have been on the trail many a time in many different vehicles but not in the Raptor yet.

DezRaceSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like Evan and Nitefighter said I also have been up there a few times when I use to live in AZ. That is a really good ride.