2014 Raptor Flex...meh not bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took her to our mountain cabin this past weekend for some fun. Spent the days fishing, shooting and off-roading. Not a bad weekend with the guys. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to flex her a little. I'm used to Jeeps crawling on rocks. She was a little clumsy on the rocks, like a bull in a China shop, but she got through.

Manliest%2BWeekend%2BEver-42.jpg

Manliest%2BWeekend%2BEver-43.jpg

That's my buddy's Jeep. He brought it up to have some fun with it also. I left my Jeep at home with my wife.

Manliest%2BWeekend%2BEver-41.jpg

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Yea the raptor isnt the greatest crawler. Your exactly right, like a bull in a China shop. It will do it, but not gracefully. Haha. Ive never been much for crawling, more a high speed guy myself, but I flexed on a big dirt pile a week ago (it was there, so why not!) I should post those pics here....

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When we went out to Moab for the pre run, we crawled over some stuff that we probably shouldn't have been on and I thought the truck handled it very well. We actually were going down a big rock face and the group in front of us in a jeep got out to watch us fail. When we got to the bottom, the one lady was eating her old man's ass telling him he should have bought a Raptor!!! I'd heard they weren't built for the rocks, but I was impressed. Just MO

OP
OP
Taxman

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was impressed also. Although I was really spoiled with my Rubicon's 4:1 gear ratio in 4Lo. The Raptors have lots of power where the Jeeps have gear ratios in their favor. There aren't many places in the mountains here to really open up the Raptor and let her rip. Too many winding roads, up and down, cliffs, etc. Although we found some fire roads that allowed us to get up to 65 or so. That was a lot of fun, but it was short-lived as the roads eventually end or start winding up or down a mountain. But 2WD, off-road mode and traction control fully disabled is lots of fun when you're going fast.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I was impressed also. Although I was really spoiled with my Rubicon's 4:1 gear ratio in 4Lo. The Raptors have lots of power where the Jeeps have gear ratios in their favor. There aren't many places in the mountains here to really open up the Raptor and let her rip. Too many winding roads, up and down, cliffs, etc. Although we found some fire roads that allowed us to get up to 65 or so. That was a lot of fun, but it was short-lived as the roads eventually end or start winding up or down a mountain. But 2WD, off-road mode and traction control fully disabled is lots of fun when you're going fast.

You, know I kinda like the technical stuff though. I go out to Colorado a lot and same thing there - slow going. But when it's wet and the trails are muddy and rocky, these trucks do really well. Don't get me wrong - the sand washes are a blast! But the mountain areas are a different kind of fun with these trucks that I really enjoy.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Yea definitely not saying the raptor does bad. Just not as tight and technical as a short wheel base jeep.

Here's a few pics from dirt pile. Dovetail definitely helps with clearance issues here.

IMG_20150316_194415_zpsmhoap53q.jpg

IMG_20150316_165518916_HDR_zps1vv4bsrz.jpg

IMG_20150316_165500093_HDR_zpswvmjbdrq.jpg

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When we went out to Moab for the pre run, we crawled over some stuff that we probably shouldn't have been on and I thought the truck handled it very well. We actually were going down a big rock face and the group in front of us in a jeep got out to watch us fail. When we got to the bottom, the one lady was eating her old man's ass telling him he should have bought a Raptor!!! I'd heard they weren't built for the rocks, but I was impressed. Just MO

i did a little rock crawling out there in oct. this was one of the tougher sections. and yes, this is coming down but i made it up this. could have been where i effed up my rear bumper. pic in my sig is the end of the trail

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i did a little rock crawling out there in oct. this was one of the tougher sections. and yes, this is coming down but i made it up this. could have been where i effed up my rear bumper. pic in my sig is the end of the trail

We were on Metal Mashers for most of the first day. Did you notice that coming down was a hell of a lot harder due to the suspension up front being compressed?!! Left some frame paint on a few rocks and tested the running steps a few times, but no major damage. Still, would have liked having a little stronger components up front as we are stock now....

This whole area is definitely on our 'return later this year' list!!!