2013 Baja 500 trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We decided to head down to Baja this weekend for the Score Baja 500.
We saw at least 20 Raptors, plus many Raptor bodied race trucks.
The weather was warm inland, about 100F and much cooler on the coast. We started at Ojos Negros, then we drove towards Valley De Trinidad, spectating along the way. After quesotacos in Valley T, we ended up wandering around a bit on some pretty rough and remote trails. We stumbled onto the race course around mile 270, and took the course west carefully watching for race vehicles. I've been going to Baja since 1987, this is only the second time I've driven on an active race course. We had to cover 8 rough miles to Rancho Coyote, at that point we could get off the course. We came across numerous stuck race vehicles in this section. We towed out a Raptor Trophy Truck, two class 8's, a class 10, and one other buggy I've forgotten. The Raptor was amazing, I'm on mid perch, stock fox, RPG bumps, and Deavers. We had to romp the poor truck a bit harder than normal, and it was very capable. The silt beds and buried rocks were not kind to the truck though. We broke the windshield, bent the front skid-plate, bent both side steps, ripped of the trailer wiring, got a few dings on the underside, the usual desert pin striping, and have enough dirt inside the cab for a garden. Oh ya, I cut a Toyo MT, the first one in 8 years of using them. It was an epic day, and on the drive home I noted my steering wheel was still straight with no pull- Built Ford Tough!

Great Tacos in Valley T
y3yhyze9.jpg

evynygag.jpg

Raptor TT off the course in s ditch
jymu2ypy.jpg

4a4epuvu.jpg

utyza8ez.jpg

eza9epuv.jpg

jy9upasu.jpg

3epa5ede.jpg

ejyza7y7.jpg

ynytamed.jpg

a5u4e3as.jpg

ruzejy6u.jpg

8ynere3e.jpg
qy9urasa.jpg
y4abasuv.jpg
erenuqyr.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Conejoracer

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that point isn't west backwards on course?

No, we were going with the traffic. Maybe I should call it west-ish.
I'm not really into going on the course, but with one spare left and darkness coming I opted to get out ASAP.
We watched for traffic religiously. During the time we were on the course we were passed by 10 cars, 4 of which we had pulled out of silt or off of rocks. It was one of the most technical sections I've ever seen in a Score Baja event.

Last edited: