Welder recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deletedone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to purchase a mig welder to start doing minor repairs/fabbing parts. What type of welder would you guys recommend? I don't need a top of the line professional series miller, just something mid range for my garage. Any help is much appreciated.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miller, or Lincoln, or Hobart in that order. we use miller and Hobart at work, I have a Lincoln 216 at our family race shop and it does everything I need it to.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I want to purchase a mig welder to start doing minor repairs/fabbing parts. What type of welder would you guys recommend? I don't need a top of the line professional series miller, just something mid range for my garage. Any help is much appreciated.

Miller definitely. That's all I will ever buy or want to use

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

goathearder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Millers are good and so are Lincolns but for the last 3 years I have been using an Eastwood 175 amp mig for my hobby stuff and its been great. I have probably run 40-50 lbs of wire through it and haven't had any issues. Can't beat it for the price.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What ever your choice is, just think what your gonna be welding, and what you might be looking to do in the future, as for materials and thickness, then purchase a machine that is suited for a little above your work load, you don't want to be working your machine at it's max out put, and duty cycle,

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First question is do you have a 220v outlet in your garage/shop. If not then your kinda limited I have the a Hobart I got from tractor supply. I think it's there 140 it's ho arts largest 110v welder. I welded numerous projects with it. Including Sdhq lca reinforcement tabs with It. I do run out of duty cycle with it occasionally. But it will weld up to 1/8 in steel. I would recommend something a little more powerful so it can grow with your skillz. 220v is def. the way to go if you have the hookup and the $$$$$$. Something with a aluminum spool in 220v above a 200 series will be all you can handle for a while if your just starting out. There are gonna be other welding tools and gadgets and grinders your gonna wanna buy once you start. But I'm perfectly happy wih my Hobart it has been a great garage tool. I had a small Campbell hawsfeild 110 for a while and I couldn't weld anything with it. Pure junk just didn't have the power. I have been looking at the Eastwood setups/combos look like good deals and quality machines. Hope that helps more than a miller or Lincoln. B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First question is do you have a 220v outlet in your garage/shop. If not then your kinda limited I have the a Hobart I got from tractor supply. I think it's there 140 it's ho arts largest 110v welder. I welded numerous projects with it. Including Sdhq lca reinforcement tabs with It. I do run out of duty cycle with it occasionally. But it will weld up to 1/8 in steel. I would recommend something a little more powerful so it can grow with your skillz. 220v is def. the way to go if you have the hookup and the $$$$$$. Something with a aluminum spool in 220v above a 200 series will be all you can handle for a while if your just starting out. There are gonna be other welding tools and gadgets and grinders your gonna wanna buy once you start. But I'm perfectly happy wih my Hobart it has been a great garage tool. I had a small Campbell hawsfeild 110 for a while and I couldn't weld anything with it. Pure junk just didn't have the power. I have been looking at the Eastwood setups/combos look like good deals and quality machines. Hope that helps more than a miller or Lincoln. B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call someone and have the 220 volt outlet installed.. It took about 3 hours to add one and about 75.00 in parts...

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not a huge fan of Hobart because I have used a couple of there real cheap POS welders but I have one of there plasma cutters and it runs like a ***** ape.

Oh and ya I would not waste my money and time on a 110 welder (been there done that). IMO you will grow tired of it way to fast.

Last edited:

XxWarEaglexX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The welder I work with said spend the money an buy a miller. But he said Lincoln would be the second best choice.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Also if you need a 220 ran at home my dad does electrical work. Just let me know.

Sent from my SCH-S950C using Tapatalk 2