Tailgate with and w/o step question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can tell me. My local dealer is trying to figure this out and are having trouble doing so. Why? Not that great of a dealer I guess.

My 2012 Raptor has the tailgate step and grab bar.

What I am wanting to do or hope to is this. Remove the tailgate cover and grab bar. Install a standard tailgate plastic cover. The reason for this is eliminate the hump so a sliding drawer unit will not need to be elevated.

Is this possible or is this going to require a new tailgate?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so you still want the step, but not the handle? i dont see a problem with that. there might be some little mods to make it work, but nothing you couldnt do, i would think.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure you can pull the handle with the cover and replace it with the standard metal piece to make the tailgate look like a regular tailgate but still retain the step that pulls out. I had them line-x for this very issue if down the road I wanted to get rid of the handle and then would only need the metal cover sprayed.

OP
OP
Gunner75

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Hope my dealer get's this up and going so I can finish my install.

Not wanting to lift this box and add more metal to the bed. The handle just sticks too far up for loaded drawer operation.

photo-8_zps3ca00579.jpg

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah you may find someone who has a regular tailgate who wants a handle and swap out in the parking lot.

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't need the step, you'll save some weight with a standard gate too. It'll help offset the weight of that box a little. You wouldn't think it, but there's a pretty hefty difference between the two. I've held both in my hands.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can remove the bar assembly and replace it with the non-step tailgate cover plate. I think mine was $66 from ford. It only comes primered, but if you are lining the bed or covering it with a plastic liner it's not a problem.

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Hope my dealer get's this up and going so I can finish my install.

Not wanting to lift this box and add more metal to the bed. The handle just sticks too far up for loaded drawer operation.

photo-8_zps3ca00579.jpg

Since your box is blocking your bed extender will you be taking that off to?