SVT Vent Back-Lighting Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Here we go. I spent some time writing this up based on my own installation and had trouble posting this with the pictures in the right spots. I now have a Photobucket account so let's see if I can get-R-done. Some of what I do for a living trickled into this (it was kind of humorous to me), so please forgive... You military guys who have read technical manuals will get it. :biggrin: The link to get the red EL (or other colors) is: http://www.glowhut.com/electroluminescent-panelel-tapeback-light-with-12v-invert12.html

BACK-LIT SVT VENT INSTALLATION

Tools Required:
· Old Credit Card
· 1” Wide Putty Knife
· Wire Cutters
· Wire Strippers
· 8 mm Socket, ¼” Drive
· Ratchet, ¼” Drive
· Razor Knife

Materials Required:
Electrician’s Tape
Cable Ties
Wire Nut (1)
RTV, Electrical
Formula 409
Tape, Two-way
Clean Towel

Equipment Conditions:
· Engine OFF
· Hood Opened

Figure1.jpg

This is to take your F-150 Raptor SVT to the next​
level of cool. This is your before picture.
Figure2.jpg

Note:​
It may be necessary to cut your credit card slightly narrower to ensure that the credit card will fit between the clips on the SVT vent.​
1. Carefully insert an old credit card behind your SVT vent.
Figure3.jpg
2. Carefully insert putty knife between SVT vent and credit card. Once tip of knife is past the “T” move knife up until you hear a click.

3. Carefully move the putty knife down until you hear a click.

4. With your free hand, reach in over the top to the back of the SVT vent and apply pressure to the top of the clip to assist in releasing it from the fender while simultaneously applying pressure to the rear of the vent with the putty knife, releasing the SVT vent.
Figure5.jpg

Figure8.jpg
5. Once your SVT vent releases, slide the SVT vent towards the rear of the truck and remove.
Figure6.jpg
6. This is what you should be seeing now.
Figure7.jpg
7. Clean surface with soft cloth and a cleaner such as Formula 409.
Figure9.jpg
8. Prepare your EL tape by covering all but 3” with electrician’s tape, opposite the end with the connector. This will give you a clean look to the SVT and eliminates any extra glow to the vent area. Make sure the (EL) tape is clean so the tape will adhere properly.

Figure10.jpg
9. Cut a piece of two-way tape to the approximate length and apply to the indented portion of the vent. Rub on thoroughly. Then trim off excess tape with a razor knife.

10. Peel off the protective covering on the tape, revealing the sticky side.
Figure11.jpg
11. Figure12.jpg

Route wire and connector through vent as shown. This well help support the end of the tape not being used and keep everything more secure.
Figure13.jpg
NOTE:​
· Sorry, this view is from the passenger side vent!​
· It is important to place tape to the very end of the indent to that all of the letters of SVT have coverage.​

12. Line up end of EL tape to the edge of the indent and press firmly into place.
Figure16.jpg
13. Install your STV vent by sliding vent toward the front of the vehicle and snapping into place. Sweetness indeed.

14. Repeat Steps (1) through (13) for passenger side.

15. Install your 12V inverters where you see fit. I kept mine high and merely used cable ties to keep them in place on another component. I used two cable ties per inverter and snugged them down. I hooked the power into one of my AUX switches, so I can kill the light at will. I do not know the legality of running extra “side marker” lights as they could be construed, so use your best judgment. Connect your black ground wires to the nearest ground stud and enjoy. When you are done connecting your ground, apply RTV to exposed wire surfaces.

Figure15.jpg
Figure14.jpg
16. Crack a beer and admire your work.

END OF TASK
END OF WORK PACKAGE

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Post. Did you do something about that tab in the front of the plastic vent? If you pop one of the vents back off it will be pretty appearent what I was talking about in the other post. Think if you file the corner down just a little it won't pinch the EL tape.

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Post. Did you do something about that tab in the front of the plastic vent? If you pop one of the vents back off it will be pretty appearent what I was talking about in the other post. Think if you file the corner down just a little it won't pinch the EL tape.

I just looked at your post. Did you get the same tape I did? I had absolutely no clearance problems at all with mine. It fit in the little channel perfectly with room to spare. It looks like yours is quite a bit wider because it overlaps the clip holes. Did you click on the link I provided? Check it out once... Let me know if I can help.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where the two clips are, isn't the problem. When you're looking at the back side of the vent, there is a single tab near the front, or the "T". That tab fits into a notch on the fender it's self, that bends and pinches the EL tape. I just reinstalled mine earlier this evening and trimed that tab. If you pop your vent and take a look you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. It took about six weeks to chew through the first EL.

You can in fact see the tab I'm talking about in your 5th picture.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I love this forum... everybody learning together... just like one big, happy fambly. .... ***-by-ya my... Ford... ***-by-ya.. <G>

With apologies to all Christians... including myself <G>. "And be with them pygmies down in Africa.... " <GGG>

Falcon

OP
OP
JohntheDrummer

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where the two clips are, isn't the problem. When you're looking at the back side of the vent, there is a single tab near the front, or the "T". That tab fits into a notch on the fender it's self, that bends and pinches the EL tape. I just reinstalled mine earlier this evening and trimed that tab. If you pop your vent and take a look you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. It took about six weeks to chew through the first EL.

You can in fact see the tab I'm talking about in your 5th picture.

Yes, I DO see now. The little bugger sittin' in there hidin', waitin' to pinch my EL tape! Damn, now I have to pop 'em back off again. I'll probably end up wrecking my EL tape just to get a look. Anyone else out there have this problem? Just curious...

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write up! Thanks!

(and thanks again OUTCAST for the tab warning!)

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up on the Backlit SVT side vents. it is a huge help.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh FYI, I was reading an official news release from Ford and we all have been using the wrong term. They are not side vents, they are heat extractors. (fancy name for... Side Vents!) Crazy!