Spare tire locations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was just wondering if anybody off roads with 2 spares, one under the bed and one in the bed? I have a cover and thought it would be nice to use it off road but I've heard having one spare under the bed is bad while off roading. Any opinions on this?

D

Deleted member 12951

I carry one on top and another below for the very reason you stated, I want a cover over the bed. My thought is I will use the bed one first of course and once it is changed and on higher ground, move the flat under and 2nd spare to the bed. A little inconvenient but unless you are on a long off-road trip, you might not need the 2nd spare.

I could also get a longer pole to stack two tires in the bed with straps if I wanted.

OP
OP
LFtrip

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So running one spare under the bed doesn't effect the off road handling? I've just heard people say it can cause issues.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Then my second question would be what's the best rack to use? I'd like to be able to put all my gear on it as well if possible.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So running one spare under the bed doesn't effect the off road handling? I've just heard people say it can cause issues.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Then my second question would be what's the best rack to use? I'd like to be able to put all my gear on it as well if possible.

-The only thing that the spare under the bed does is limit your departure angle

-Check out White Star Industries, he has some sweet racks with plenty of room for your gear.

D

Deleted member 12951

-The only thing that the spare under the bed does is limit your departure angle

-Check out White Star Industries, he has some sweet racks with plenty of room for your gear.

WSI doesn't have an under cover rack. Jimmy did say that he has one in development but is top secret.....

I have the TMX Covert bed rack. I have a 24 gallon action packer (carries a lot), spare tire, 2 gas cans, jack with skid, C02 tank, shovel and fire extinguisher. I looked on their website and can't find it? I think KHC makes one just like it.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
WSI doesn't have an under cover rack. Jimmy did say that he has one in development but is top secret.....

I have the TMX Covert bed rack. I have a 24 gallon action packer (carries a lot), spare tire, 2 gas cans, jack with skid, C02 tank, shovel and fire extinguisher. I looked on their website and can't find it? I think KHC makes one just like it.

Oh i read that wrong oops

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a question for anybody that runs with a spare in the bed and under it in the stock location. Do you all have the HD springs and feel that you needed them. I recently added a rack and got a second spare and I am worried now that I can't run them both because I only have the SD springs. I all ready notice hitting the bumps around town a lot more. I was wondering does putting one back under the truck make any difference. It's still being held up by the springs but it's lower so I was thinking maybe it doesn't put as much force on the springs. Idk I guess I just don't want to spend another 1000 on springs.