which size winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know people say 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle as the minimum for rating for an electric winch. it will get light use, i use the truck for a lot of driving in the Sierra's through snow and some old logging and fire roads in the summer. would a 9000 lb rated winch with 80 feet of synthetic rope be a better choice over a 9500 lb rated winch with 50 feet of synthetic rope. basically comparing a superwinch epi 9.0s and rock 95 and the warn 9.0 rock crawler.. the epi 9.0s is $728 compared to the rock 95 at $799,,,,,the warn is several hundred more

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to use 9000# with Synthetic Rope to save weight on the recommendation of ADD. I forget which brand though. I have a Superwinch in my trailers for years and haven't had any issues with them.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
9500 at least, I have a Warn 9.5 (on the crawler) and had a Warn 12K on my Dodge. spend the extra $$ for the Warn.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a Warn fan, worth the extra bucks. At least 9000# and get two snatch blocks. It will reduce the strain and pull weight. If you are a mud guy, you may want to look at the 10 or 12000# model. I do not have a winch on my raptor but do carry a come along with snatch blocks and straps. I have had Warn winches on four of my previous vehicles, no failures....ever!!!

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see that the superwinch rock 95 { 9500 lb rating} and the warn 9.0 rc {9000lb rating} both have only 50 feet of synthetic rope. is that too short? both are about 57lbs...the superwinch epi 9.0s is 69 lbs and has 80 feet of synthetic

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see that the superwinch rock 95 { 9500 lb rating} and the warn 9.0 rc {9000lb rating} both have only 50 feet of synthetic rope. is that too short? both are about 57lbs...the superwinch epi 9.0s is 69 lbs and has 80 feet of synthetic

bump

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IMHO the length is to be determined by the type of pull that you expect to have. If you use the snatch blocks you will need a longer rope. If you traverse roads or trails that you cannot get direct access to, i.e. mud pits or single lane trails with no chance of getting around another vehicle you may need more rope. Since this is a two sided answer please remember that the maximum pulling power is with less rope out of the winch. I think it may be worth your time to go to the Warn website and read their articles on how to winch a vehicle out. Determine what type of terrain that you go into and then make your call. With all that said, I have always had 75' but have never had a unit less than 10,000#.

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO the length is to be determined by the type of pull that you expect to have. If you use the snatch blocks you will need a longer rope. If you traverse roads or trails that you cannot get direct access to, i.e. mud pits or single lane trails with no chance of getting around another vehicle you may need more rope. Since this is a two sided answer please remember that the maximum pulling power is with less rope out of the winch. I think it may be worth your time to go to the Warn website and read their articles on how to winch a vehicle out. Determine what type of terrain that you go into and then make your call. With all that said, I have always had 75' but have never had a unit less than 10,000#.

that is a really informative document. still confused but leaning towards 80 feet of rope and using snatch blocks