Review: Fold A Cover G4 Elite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fold A Cover G4 Elite for the 2010 Ford Raptor

Immediately after picking up my Raptor, I took it over to 4 Wheel Parts and had them install the BedRug I'd ordered (and that they've held on to for 3 months for me!) and a Fold A Cover G4 (I brought with me).

install1.jpg

This was the first G4 they'd installed. While waiting for them to install, I talked with the guys and it seems they rep everyone but FaC. No real answer as to why... it just seemed FaC isn't on the mainstream radar.

CIMG2673.jpg

Install was quite a chore. The comment made was "wow this thing is over engineered". As the one not doing the work, I was glad to hear that. In my experience, over engineered in a context such as this usually means durable.

It took 2 guys 2.5 hours to get it done. At the end of it I was very glad I hadn't tried it on my own. It didn't look technically difficult, but it did look very involved. If you're considering one of these, give serious consideration to paying a professional to do it for you.

I'm very pleased with this cover. I really like the dual open option it offers. Both latches close solidly, and the locks operate smoothly. This cover exudes strength and durability.

top1.jpg

top3.jpg

top4.jpg

top1-1.jpg

top7.jpg

top11.jpg

But for all the positives, there are two issues that need to be pointed out. One is a function of the design and one could be a problem.

First the design: in order to fold the 2nd and 3rd panel back (as counted from the tailgate toward the cab) you have to lift panels 1 and 2, and in doing so you're also lifting panel 3.

top5.jpg

This isn't a problem for me to do from the side of the truck. I'm 6'9" and pretty strong, but I can see this being almost impossible for smaller folks. I'd bet smaller folks will need to climb up into the bed to fold back the cover the whole way.

The second issue may or may not be a problem. I haven't decided yet. The rear 'seal' that overlaps from panel 1 to the tailgate has already peeled off.

In the most basic case of closing the cover (panel 1) down on top of an already closed tailgate, 1/2 the time the seal doesn't lay flat. Take a look at what its supposed to do:
top2.jpg

Here's what it ends up doing:
top10.jpg

Not a big deal, but certainly not the most attractive thing. And to close it fully you need to press on each side to engage the latch. That seal needs to be compressed to allow the cover to fall far enough to engage the latch.

But that's not the biggest problem...

I knew I wanted a panel type hard tonneau. One thing that sold me on the G4 cover was that its designed to open without needing to drop the tailgate first.

One ramification of that is the way the tailgate top interfaces with the cover. The G4 uses that seal to cover the gap. But what happens when you open and close the gate without also opening the cover? Opening of the gate works as you'd expect... but when you go to close the tailgate the seal totally folds up under the cover.
top8.jpg

top9.jpg

Not good. But here's the kicker... that seal is double back taped to the cover. After taking those pics, I raised the cover up to fix it and the seal started to peel off. You can see it starting in ^^^ that picture. Bad bad bad.

I played with it last night and slept on it hoping to find a solution. But this morning after a bit more tinkering, I decided to just pull the damn thing off and run without it.

top12.jpg

top13.jpg

top14.jpg

No question this opens up a nice big gap for water and dust. This is NOT a good thing. But, until I've talked to Fold A Cover, I don't see another option.

So all in all, and with this pending seal issue in mind, I'd give this cover a 8 for 10. If the seal thing has a simple fix, I'd bump that to a 9 for 10. I'd give it a 10 for 10 if there was a way to "quick release" the cover for a complete fast removal. As it is, this cover is designed to be a permanent install.

Hope that helps ya if you're considering one of these. Given the above, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Please feel free to ask questions/make comments/make suggestions. I'll keep this updated as I'm able to reach FaC and as time progresses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update!

I went back and carefully cleaned the area, and reapplied the weatherstripping, using the closed end of a boxwrench to apply A LOT of pressure evenly and slowly. Since then, the thing has stayed stuck solid. I'm really pleased so far.

Hope that helps.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!

I went back and carefully cleaned the area, and reapplied the weatherstripping, using the closed end of a boxwrench to apply A LOT of pressure evenly and slowly. Since then, the thing has stayed stuck solid. I'm really pleased so far.

Hope that helps.

I am considering the same cover, I was originally thinking of getting the bakflip HD but then I came accross the Personal Caddy storage device that is exclusive to the G4 Elite that you have. I like you am going to have 4wheel parts do the install. Is there anything you can suggest I tell them before they begin the job to help things go over smooth?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am considering the same cover, I was originally thinking of getting the bakflip HD but then I came accross the Personal Caddy storage device that is exclusive to the G4 Elite that you have. I like you am going to have 4wheel parts do the install. Is there anything you can suggest I tell them before they begin the job to help things go over smooth?
I'd suggest finding out if they've ever done one before. If they have, then they'll know what to expect and will probably charge you accordingly. If they haven't, get a quote BEFORE dropping off the truck. I paid for one guy, 2 hours labor. As I mentioned, it took 2 guys 2.5 hours (and a third helping toward the end). Don't pay them to learn how to do it (not that 4wheel would try to make you pay, but it never hurts to watch your own 6, ya know?)

Other than that suggestion, I'd just say let them do their thing. The guys that worked on mine were through and competent. They took their time and did it right (with the exception of the stripping as explained above). Take a book with ya or plan to leave it with them for an afternoon.

I won't say the G4 is "better" than the BakFlip, but I will say I love my G4 (the BakFlip is one hell of a cover too). I've used a BakFlip before and for my purposes, the G4 fits the bill perfectly. I think you're going to be very happy with your choice!

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest finding out if they've ever done one before. If they have, then they'll know what to expect and will probably charge you accordingly. If they haven't, get a quote BEFORE dropping off the truck. I paid for one guy, 2 hours labor. As I mentioned, it took 2 guys 2.5 hours (and a third helping toward the end). Don't pay them to learn how to do it (not that 4wheel would try to make you pay, but it never hurts to watch your own 6, ya know?)

Other than that suggestion, I'd just say let them do their thing. The guys that worked on mine were through and competent. They took their time and did it right (with the exception of the stripping as explained above). Take a book with ya or plan to leave it with them for an afternoon.

I won't say the G4 is "better" than the BakFlip, but I will say I love my G4 (the BakFlip is one hell of a cover too). I've used a BakFlip before and for my purposes, the G4 fits the bill perfectly. I think you're going to be very happy with your choice!

Thanks BigJ!

Does anyone know if options like the personal caddy exist for the bakflip or HD ? It's an awesome storage device that is making me lean heavy to the G4 elite.

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One: What is the personal caddy?

Two: How much is the G4 elite, and how much of an inconvience is it about theat seal?

Three: Are there any other folding covers that are comparable to the G4 in your opinion?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Two: How much is the G4 elite, and how much of an inconvience is it about theat seal?
I bought mine from Truck Alterations (click here). Paid $780 plus shipping.

I wouldn't call it an inconvenience; its just something to know. Its certainly not something to hinge your decision on or not.

Three: Are there any other folding covers that are comparable to the G4 in your opinion?
Comparable? Not sure what you mean... each gets the job done in slightly different ways. Its really a matter of how you plan to use it. In terms of quality, you can't go wrong with the G4 or BakFlip.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DJ BFG
One: What is the personal caddy?
Personal-Caddy-Side.jpg

Does it come in any other Hair Colors and Bust sizes??? <G>

Falcon

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday another advantage of the FoldACover donned on me. Its something I've been enjoying about it since day one, but never thought about in terms of it being an advantage of the the G4's design.

I back into my garage. The Raptor barely fits, but it fits. The G4 allows me to open the cover without dropping the tailgate... something I physically can't do with my truck backed in and the garage door closed. I couldn't do it even if I pulled head first in with the door closed either, so its a good thing no matter how ya look at it.

And for me, I'm opening that panel every morning to dump my gym bag in, then again in the evening to pull it out for the night. Thanks to the FoldACover's side access, I don't have to get out before parking, pull the bag out, then get back in to finish parking. Its a pretty cool and unplanned advantage!