Requesting A Custom Product From Any Vendor Willing To Tackle The Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If possible I'd like an estimate for a custom product. I have a 2012 Ford Raptor. I would like a tire gate similar to SDHQ Offroad's J Runner J Runner Tire Gate . However, I would like it fitted to carry two 37" tires. By appearance this would be possible by simply the removal of the floor plates that hold gas, water, etc. Some minor additional things Ive had in mind included a cable with a lock or something to aid in theft prevention for the two 37" tires. And maybe a way to prevent theft of the tire gate like unique bolts (torques bolts, etc.) or welding it.

SDHQ said when I asked them the question:
"While having two spares in the bed and maintaining bed space is a good idea, I do not think it's possible due to weight and leverage issues. The weight of two 37" tires plus the tire gate itself would be too much for the mounting hardware to handle. Another thing to factor in is that the bouncing from off road driving or even day to day driving would put additional strain on the bolts and in my opinion it would not hold up and would lead to potential harm to yourself or others."

I've done some research. A gallon of water weighs appropriately 10 lbs, therefore a 5 gallon container bolted to the production J Runner tire gate weighs 50 lbs. A gallon of gasoline weighs about 6 lbs, therefore a 5 gallon container bolted to the production J Runner tire gate weighs 30 lbs. This combined weight equals around 80 lbs. The tire/wheel weight of a 37" tire equals about 80-90 lbs based on what i can find. Therefore, I don't see the difference between liquids (gasoline/water) and another tire. But, perhaps my math was wrong, or perhaps the original tire gate is a bad design.

I talked to Outlaw Raptor and they had negative things to say about tire gates all together. However, said you would brainstorm the idea for a similar solution. They were discussing tying it into the bumper or frame somehow. Also, I was enlightened to the fact that Tiregate.com makes virtually all the tire gates and they don't hold up well on the Raptor Expeditions.

I would like a tire gate or bumper of some sort that leaves the majority of the bed for storage other than tires. I use a shop that is capable of modification to the bed if necessary. I'm just more comfortable with a shop who specializes in Raptor products to develop the item itself. It needs to be stout, I don't want a deformed bed. Thanks for your time and look forward to responses.

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am located in Virginia. I'm quite a distance form any major Raptor part vendors. This will need to a something shipped to my location. I use a shop that is capable of modification to the bed if necessary. Maybe even shipping the item raw incase modification is necessary to the item itself for fitting. I have a powder coater I use. I was in communication with a few different shops about a month ago. However, the communication has come to a stand still. I would imagine due to the holidays. Just don't want to be forgotten all together. I assume posting on the forums will promote healthy competition. Thanks

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out my build... I had RPG modify the rear shackles, hitch and new rear bumper that accommodates a 37" tire under the bed. I have a second one under the F-1 cover along with the rest of my recovery / trail gear.

I would think that a tire gate would change the handling dynamics of the Raptor. I know from experience that anything in the very back of the truck gets absolutely thrashed. Think potato chips (crumbs) and unsecured beer (busted) in cooler.

On the other hand you look at trophy trucks and many have two side by side heavy tires mounted horizontal, high in the rear. but they were not on a gate, they are on the bed cage.

We do know that the rear bed sides flex over time and can deform. This is what caused the failure of my F-1 in "The mystery of the disappearing cooler" - see post in my build for that fun episode. Anyway, I am getting some triangular braces made to avoid this in the future. Anyway if mine can deform with no hanging weight on them...

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what your saying, mount the tires on either side where the cans are, BUT what if you mounted them on either side and instead of having the gate swing open to one side you had the gate split in the middle and open to either side (1 tire each way). I am no engineer, but would that relieve some of the stress, or just create a weak point in the center of the tiregate? If built properly and heavy-duty enough i don't think it would be too much of an issue.

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see what your saying, mount the tires on either side where the cans are, BUT what if you mounted them on either side and instead of having the gate swing open to one side you had the gate split in the middle and open to either side (1 tire each way). I am no engineer, but would that relieve some of the stress, or just create a weak point in the center of the tiregate? If built properly and heavy-duty enough i don't think it would be too much of an issue.

That's an absolutely awesome idea. Exactly the sort of input I'm hoping to get from the vendors. The tire gate I mentioned was just an example of something I like, but even be afraid to use as is. Heck, it doesn't have to look any thing like that particular tire gate as long as it looks cool. I like the orientation/direction of the tire on that one. But I'm willing to have any ideas bounced around.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Check out my build... I had RPG modify the rear shackles, hitch and new rear bumper that accommodates a 37" tire under the bed. I have a second one under the F-1 cover along with the rest of my recovery / trail gear.

I would think that a tire gate would change the handling dynamics of the Raptor. I know from experience that anything in the very back of the truck gets absolutely thrashed. Think potato chips (crumbs) and unsecured beer (busted) in cooler.

On the other hand you look at trophy trucks and many have two side by side heavy tires mounted horizontal, high in the rear. but they were not on a gate, they are on the bed cage.

We do know that the rear bed sides flex over time and can deform. This is what caused the failure of my F-1 in "The mystery of the disappearing cooler" - see post in my build for that fun episode. Anyway, I am getting some triangular braces made to avoid this in the future. Anyway if mine can deform with no hanging weight on them...

Wsi has made a bumper tire mount in the past. I'm open to tying into the bumper and or frame. If a vendor makes the parts, I have a place that could easily modify the bed if necessary.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/my-new-wsi-tire-carrier-bumper-15365/
WSI's tire carrier bumper

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would love to speak with you about this. Give us a call tomorrow. 913-200-6747, ask for Jimmy

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well hell guys, it varies by tire and wheel. 35" Toyo's are 80 something pounds, by them selves. Add a light weight method, and they are easily over 100 pounds, and that's just a complete 35, much less 37's