Removing Plasti-Dip From Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
DYC has a good product I use for hard to reach, irregular, or overly thin removal. $20, spray it on, and power wash it off. Product details and video here --> https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Dissolver.html

Thanks for the reply! Have you used it with pressure washer?

I've read it's the same as a bottle of Goo Gone and even is same color liquid. I have a bottle of Goo Gone, but only a water hose to remove and while it works it is a PITA to remove. But I don't have a pressure washer...yet.

MichaelChad

Reaction score
Yeah pressure washer only, never tried it with just a water hose. Not that I think all their products are highly engineered, but it did work better than my intuition tells me goo gone would. I feel a little better about it being on my painted and plastic surfaces too. At that point you might as well spray some mineral spirits on it and go to town. It's worth a shot though. Why don't you try some goo gone on a small area while at a car wash, and see if the high pressure soap or rinse will do it. Then at least you'll know if a cheapo Home Depot PW would be worth it.

Otherwise I've never found a better way to remove it but wax and grease remover from an auto paint supplier. Cuts it faster than mineral spirits, but you'll spend a lot of time with a rag and a toothbrush in those small areas.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try going to a truck wash. There is one around me that services big rigs and I've gone in there and used it. Very high power power wash. I've actually taken paint off of a previous car with it. That should save you lots of time and elbow grease @infinitereality

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I can tell you Goo Gone works to get in the nooks on my bike, just not enough pressure with a hose to peel it up once it's saturated. I will take your advice and now that the bike is back together I'll bring the GG and try it with a pressure washer or borrow one. I really need to just buy one.

I do know Xylene or Naptha would remove it, but not sure how safe that stuff is on paint unless I dilute it. I have both for cleaning my DYC gun already.

I'm glad to hear least it was easy to remove with the DYC stuff and pressure washer, I won't hold back from doing my grill now. I did the fenders, bumpers and roof and completely forgot about the grill till now.

MichaelChad

Reaction score
Xylene might be a little harsh, naphtha is a pretty gentle solvent, a lot like mineral spirits. I've used both in a pinch as a prep for dip, over factory paints without any issue. All of the above evaporate much faster than the DYC product, which I think is why it works so well.

Little related tip for dipping your large surfaces. If you get a bad layer, and are left with more texture than you want: dilute the dip 1:1 with mineral spirits, and set your nozzle for a finer slower feed. If you're using an HVLP, switch to a 1.4 and set it up like a clear. Then coat the whole affected area, somewhere between dump and dust. You want the entire surface wet at the same time. It'll get into the texture, and re-level it. Works great on overspray, and as a refresher for old applications too.

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on Xylene, I'll steer clear of it. I was fixing to wipe the black over spray off tonight prior to spraying the rest of the truck. It's time for a change in color. :)

I have their older gun, I got it when I got the kit to dip the bike. It's little over 2yrs old, but when I sprayed the black I played with it and got it set up pretty well and leaves very, very little texture. I impressed myself, lol. I hope to have some pictures in the next few days after it dries and get the emblems peeled.

MichaelChad

Reaction score
You can do some pretty good work with those turbine guns, nothin beats the real thing though. We never did master the turbine, though we used a different product with a very different consistency that didn't come pre-thinned, and gave up on it pretty quick. With the right mix, and a good gun, you can make 3 coats thicker than 6 with a turbine, and smooth as butter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436809918.492681.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436809941.511756.jpg

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
That came out great. I totally agree, at the time I didn't have the place or equipment to so anything but their gun. Hell when I ordered it, I borrowed a compressor because I can't read there's no air needed, lol. I got my own air now, just no gun, lol.

I was impressed it still worked fine after not being used for 2yrs. Here's how it came out and before DipCoat which supposedly will make it even better.

Attachments

• 20150711_151606.jpg
    20150711_151606.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 113