Rear mount winch help - for pulling a car up on a trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaibaa

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I don't own a trailer - I wish I did but my home simply doesn't have the room. I pull a race car now and then, and really hate abusing the clutch pulling it up on an open trailer.

What are my options for putting a rear winch on the raptor and pulling it up? Would the best way be to chock the trailer wheels, put a hitch winch in, and pull the car up? Any other options?

I know this is weird - sorry.

Thanks!

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to see carnage in action, sure, do it your way. Please have someone video it for You Tube value.

Be safe. Mount a winch to the trailer or get a come along. Your clutch should be able to pull the car onto a trailer without any drama. If you're smoking a clutch doing that.....

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im guessing he is talking about a bert two speed style racing transmission. They dont operate like a normal transmission.
Your best bet it to pick up a cheap one from harbor freight. Mount it on the trailer. 3k or 4k should be plenty to drag it on.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I'm guessing you borrow a trailer every time you load the car? You're idea is to put a winch into the hitch of the truck, right? Yeah, can't say that is a good idea. Give us a bit more of an explanation, some here will laugh, but you'll get some good idea's as well.

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a harbor freight ATV winch. Jumper cable to your battery for power. Mount to winch to flat plate and have hole cut in it to run a shackle through. attach the shackle to the tow hook. Keep the trailer hooked up to the truck for safety.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definately do not unhook the trailer from the truck to put the winch in the reciever! Chocks won't hold it and you can kiss your tailgate good by.

Get one that has a hook on each end and electric powered. If you are slick you will be able to find a way tto power it off of the trailer connection.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't own the trailer and can't properly install a winch on it, do yourself a favor and get a good quality come along. That's the best alternative to a winch. Anything attached to the truck other than a custom built winch plate in the bed is just a disaster waiting to happen. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
S

schaibaa

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for those who submitted helpful posts. I'm looking for options and several were provided.

As far as smoking the clutch goes, it's trickier than it sounds - it's a road race car and is very low and wide - overall roughly 1/8th inch more narrow than the trailer rails. I have to use wood blocking under the tires at certain times to raise the aero over the various parts of the trailer - and it is fairly hard on a clutch to lift the front tires up onto a 1.5" wood block repeatedly. I can't do it on a roll due to the width issue. Plus it's just generally agreed that it's fairly hard on a clutch to get loaded into a trailer like that - just trying to buy the cheap part (winch) and not the expensive part (clutch).

I might try the come-along. I have a nice one but as you know it takes quite a while to ratchet 25'.

I did find some people (as someone suggested here) with chains on either side of the winch - that might work.

Thanks everyone -

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you use to pull it needs to be anchored to the trailer not your truck. Come along is what I would do just anchor it to the trailer though.