Rear 2in flare mod for stock bedside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know everyone is saying 37's, 37's, 37's, but I like the fact that you can do about anything in your truck now and NEVER worry about compression body damage. I'll guarantee you that at full compression, if you got a photo of it, that it would look badass!!! Plus, it's gonna definitely be easier to clean your fender wells out now and in the winter......just my $.02.

true, i rubbed like some shit with 35s on stock fenders...now i won't have an issue at all...more than likely i'll go with a "smaller" 37 like a KO2 when the time comes. really only considered the ko2s or mickey thompson atz or deegans...we'll see though, still a bit before i'll go that route unless someone wants to take 5 duratracs off my hands lol...

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear fender flare was cut down 1.5 - 2" in order to match the smaller flare of the fiberglass front fender flares...

Looks very clean, very nice work!

So I'm guessing you trimmed the fender flare at the top (where the flare meets the bedside) all around the edge there? Then do you just relocate the clips that attach the flare to the fender?

From the pictures, looks like very clean cuts! I always think about the rear flares being different than the front when fiberglass is put on. Looks like it definitely gives improved clearance too! Looks like great work!

MichaelChad

Reaction score
So I'm guessing you trimmed the fender flare at the top (where the flare meets the bedside) all around the edge there? Then do you just relocate the clips that attach the flare to the fender?

I don't think you can do it that way. Cutting material out from the top would change the radius (make it smaller) and it wouldn't fit against the bedside properly.

What I had to do (and the OP if you look close at the pics), is cut a 2" strip out just above the bottom lip. Then because of the changing radius between the two parts (think about cutting two lanes from the middle of a high school track) you have to cut the inner piece in two, and plastic weld the two inner pieces back to the outer piece starting from the ends. You wind up with a gap between the two inner pieces in the middle that has to be filled with new material and plastic welded in. Then of course the welds ground and filled, and finally finished. It's very similar to chopping a top if you're familiar with that process.

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense @MichaelChad! Yeah, funny thing is that I own an old car with a cop top, just was done before I bought it. I do know a little bit about it though...makes total sense! Thanks for the explanation!

MichaelChad

Reaction score
@LekRap No problem at all! Not the place for it here, but I'm a vintage junkie. PM me if you want to show it off... I'd love to see it!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can out you in touch with the guy who did mine. Maybe he'll be able to make a mold out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is this wizard and what does he do? I don't mind doing the actual bed trimming myself, it is this mystical and lightly explained plastic welding that has me stumped!!!

I would love to talk to him about the possibility of getting the flares done to match up with this project.......