Rear 2in flare mod for stock bedside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my truck was being worked on at KHC for about 3 weeks...didn't see dave around but asked about the mod...didn't get too much of an answer unfortunately...

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hows the build goin?

Getting there...they did an awesome job as always...here are a couple of pics without completely hijacking Daves thread...
69e207f663e90c7678b18780d74a59c6.jpg
35447cb5694f481767d3e3e401d5defd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelChad

Reaction score
I looked up plastic welding and it looks feasible to do yourself. HOWEVER, the stock flares are not cheap so it wouldn't be a cheap mistake if you screw it up. I haven't looked into it yet but I feel like a competent body shop would be capable. no idea on cost though.

I did mine (all 4 corners, not a raptor) last year after seeing this thread, having never cut into a body OR plastic welded. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't call it easy by any means. I don't think I would recommend it to someone who had zero fabrication experience, but the same principles apply across trades here I think. Prep and measure are key, take your time, practice on scraps.

Plastic welding turned out to be easy, even with the cheap HF model. If you can weld, or even if you are a soldering pro you probably already have what it takes. Clean cuts, edge prep, and the right sticks make all the difference. Plenty of good YouTube vids.

Cutting the plastic can be a bear until you get the right method. I found it was easiest to score a nice clean line with a razor, back into it from the scrap side to pull out a wedge, and then I could push a sturdy razor right through the groove. Left me with a nice clean cut and no rotary scars.

The hardest part for me was filling the 4" gap left in the inner flare after welding it to the outer. Forming the filler piece to match the contours was a bit of a trick. Bondo won't stick, so I made filler paste with MEK and powdered ABS that worked well and made quick work of smoothing the final product.

If you DIY, plan on it taking a while. It doesn't seem like much to do, but my first two took me over a week of evenings. The second pair went in a couple of days. I'm glad I did it though, made my 35s look small, and everybody thinks it's lifted. Now I'm just trying to burn the rubber off these tires so I can justify filling that extra space!

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did mine (all 4 corners, not a raptor) last year after seeing this thread, having never cut into a body OR plastic welded. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't call it easy by any means. I don't think I would recommend it to someone who had zero fabrication experience, but the same principles apply across trades here I think. Prep and measure are key, take your time, practice on scraps.

Plastic welding turned out to be easy, even with the cheap HF model. If you can weld, or even if you are a soldering pro you probably already have what it takes. Clean cuts, edge prep, and the right sticks make all the difference. Plenty of good YouTube vids.

Cutting the plastic can be a bear until you get the right method. I found it was easiest to score a nice clean line with a razor, back into it from the scrap side to pull out a wedge, and then I could push a sturdy razor right through the groove. Left me with a nice clean cut and no rotary scars.

The hardest part for me was filling the 4" gap left in the inner flare after welding it to the outer. Forming the filler piece to match the contours was a bit of a trick. Bondo won't stick, so I made filler paste with MEK and powdered ABS that worked well and made quick work of smoothing the final product.

If you DIY, plan on it taking a while. It doesn't seem like much to do, but my first two took me over a week of evenings. The second pair went in a couple of days. I'm glad I did it though, made my 35s look small, and everybody thinks it's lifted. Now I'm just trying to burn the rubber off these tires so I can justify filling that extra space!

Pictures or it didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ugh. Just read through the entire thread hoping I would land on a link to order... Great idea count me in for 4.

MichaelChad

Reaction score
Pictures or it didn't happen

Fair enough! Excuse the mess... My son has finally reached the age where he loves trucks, fast, and dirt as much as I do. We found an injured dirt bike rider and his broken bike on the trails last night, and didn't get him out till late...

TLDR - Truck dirty, got late, didn't wash.

Stock height rear, 1.75" level up front, and BFG 315/70R17s. It's probably my favorite of a healthy list of mods, though I've got some new pieces that are almost done that might just edge it out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435607266.969526.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435607286.594348.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435607314.178619.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435607329.846865.jpg