Raptor tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the plastic covering the tail gate. It is only fastened at the top and top half of the side, so the bottom is loose and warps up and get hung up when sliding stuff out of the bed. Also, those plastic ripples are hard on the knees of this old man. I installed a sheet of aluminum diamond plate in place of the plastic cover. It's flat, so like it much better. Did the same on the previous two trucks. The diamond plate is easier to slide stuff in and out of the bed than the ribbed metal tailgate, but is not as slippery as the plastic covering, which, for me is a good thing.

I like that idea. Can you post a few pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 0.100" thick diamond plate. Having used 0.125" on the previous trucks, I decided it didn't need to be that thick. The tailgate assist strut still works fine even with the added 15 pounds of the plate. Used four flush (metric) screws across the top and bottom, and 1 on each side middle. Metric because of the existing screw holes along the top.

Also, with this plate, may have no need for that $300 access cover plate. At $300, it is not far from the cost of a whole new bare tailgate.

IMG_7894.1.jpg

Last edited: