Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Raptor Hood Decal - How Difficult to Install?

This is a discussion on Raptor Hood Decal - How Difficult to Install? within the Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
How difficult is this to install? I've never applied a decal to a vehicle much less something as intimidating as ...

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Raptor Hood Decal - How Difficult to Install?
How difficult is this to install? I've never applied a decal to a vehicle much less something as intimidating as the entire hood of a large truck. Wondering if this is a one-time shot - whereby if you screw up a little bit and need to peel it back off you are screwed - LOL. I have read about others installing it and notice that it is difficult to get it done without a certain amount of bubbling. Alternative would be to have the stealership do it.

mesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ford Professional

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Originally Posted by mesposito View Post
How difficult is this to install? I've never applied a decal to a vehicle much less something as intimidating as the entire hood of a large truck. Wondering if this is a one-time shot - whereby if you screw up a little bit and need to peel it back off you are screwed - LOL. I have read about others installing it and notice that it is difficult to get it done without a certain amount of bubbling. Alternative would be to have the stealership do it.
Most dealers won't install. Yes it's a 1 time get it right or ?? install.
Call your local vinyl graphics guys. Show them some pics, and see what they will install it for.

My Parts Mngr. Mike Nobles, trys to keep one in stock. 918 647-2228 About $525.00 shipped, very large flat box. Tell him Randy sent you.

randy

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than in church thinking about my motorcycle. ~unknown~
-----------
2008 Harley Softail Custom 105th Aniv Limited Edition
2006 Harley F-250 Black w/Blue Flames
1.3 million miles OTR and still Truckin!!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's in English, thank a soldier.
HARLEY6LF250SDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I Void Warranties

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It is a PITA. Pay someone else to install it.
hosseface likes this.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by SPRSNK View Post
It is a PITA. Pay someone else to install it.
Enough said.

mesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

A friend of mine owned a body shop and I used to help him out once in a while. I had to install those old woodgrain decals on the entire side of a Ford Country squire wagon one time. Boy, what a PITA that was. I imagine the hood decal would be similar. The real trick is to use the spray bottle with a little Dawn mixed with water sprayed on first. This allows you to reposition a little then squeegee out the bubbles and water. Still, no fun.

I am going to paint the hood on mine a flat black where the decal goes. For me that is a lot easier and cheaper. I don't care about the Raptor logo in it.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by mesposito View Post

dude, you tube vinyl decal installation. there are a ton of how to videos . for something as large as the hood i would call a professional. its probably an hour service charge..
yomudderputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

if you dont have any install experiance I suggest you find a local graphics company in your area, lots of soapy water and a heat gun. It took me and another person 2hrs. to install mine.
baiter joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I am going to paint the hood on mine a flat black where the decal goes. For me that is a lot easier and cheaper. I don't care about the Raptor logo in it.

This may sound kind of stupid... but is there any functionality to going with a matte black hood decal or paint? Does it really help with glare from the sun or oncoming headlights?

Or is this purely a cosmetic application?
Mark Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ford Senior Master Technician

I wouldn't pay to have it done, it is a piece of cake. As someone mentioned before, a light amount of dish soap in a spray bottle with water, wet the suface down thouroughly and lay the decal on the hood. You will find that the decal slips and slides wherever you want it, so positioning is easy. Start in the center using a hand held squeegee and push the water/soap solution to the edges of the decal and out. Let dry for a bit and pull the transfer tape off. whalaa. If you do have a bubble or two, simply poke the center with a sewing pin and squeegee the air/moisture to the hole.

FSM
FSM06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
This may sound kind of stupid... but is there any functionality to going with a matte black hood decal or paint? Does it really help with glare from the sun or oncoming headlights?

Or is this purely a cosmetic application?
It can help with glare reduction but my main reason is that I like the look.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote