Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Pop & Lock power tailgate lock installation

This is a discussion on Pop & Lock power tailgate lock installation within the Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
No pics but there are plenty videos online to see. This is just a few tips on the instillation. 1997-2016 ...

User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Pop & Lock power tailgate lock installation
No pics but there are plenty videos online to see. This is just a few tips on the instillation.

1997-2016 Ford F150 (For tailgate with OEM manual lock)

The new F-150's have it so I figured it was a good add to my truck. Now I don't have to constantly check the tailgate to see if its locked. It also makes a nice sounds when locking so you get another audible clue your truck locked. This is nice when you're at the back of the truck and don't visually see the marker lights flash.

The lock solenoid is very easy to install in the tailgate. The supplied bracket is very nice laser cut stainless steel. The actuator itself is pretty standard but seems good, I didn't get what brand it is. The entire assembly is well thought out and designed. Two bullet connectors attach it to the wiring harness that runs up front.

I secured the wires at the exit hole on the tailgate with the factory wires that are mounted on a small locator tab. I looped the extra around the harness up by the spare tire where it T's out to the taillights. A two-way Weather Pack connector is used so you can always disconnect it if you need to remove the tailgate. I positioned this close to the trailer electrical connector for easy access.

Be careful with the Torx screws that hold the plastic tailgate cover on. There are barely any threads for them in the sheet metal. A few have threaded inserts but only like 2-3. I used some blue Loctite and just snugged them down. Most were loose when I went to remove them. I plan to drill the holes out one day and add NutSerts. The screws are shouldered so that limits how tight you can get the cover on.

The included wires are 18 AWG in a tough over-molded sheath. I ran it along the factory harness inside the frame and followed it through the cross over in front of the fuel tank. Its more than enough wire to do the job even if you want to bring it in through the firewall.

In my SCREW there is a rubber grommet in the rear of the door sill channel. I punched a small hole in that and ran the cable into the cab there. From there you'll have to run the cable forward into the front door sill channel because the wires you need are not in the rear. I used the included Scotch locks/wire taps to connect into the factory wires.

The grey/brown stripe wire is the lock wire
The light blue/green stripe is the unlock wire

The wires from the power lock are green and blue. Connect the green wire to the grey/brown stripe lock wire. The blue wire then goes to the light blue/green stripe wire. If you get it wrong you can always swap them easily at the bullet connectors but I'm a stickler for this sort of thing so I took the time to get it right. Running the wires is the hardest part.

It works perfectly. I wish Ford would have included this from the factory especially knowing how easy it is to steal a F-150 tailgate. My friend's 2014 Dodge Ram has it!
Attached Thumbnails
pl8250-500x500.jpg  

Recon illuminated SVT emblems | Recon LED side mirror signals | Craven Speed dead pedal | Roush CAI | Outerwears Pre-Filter | The Tune by SVC | Corsa Resonator Delete | Rigid D-Series Pro Flush Mounts (Rear Bumper)
andreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I may have to put this on the spring list of stuff to do.

Sent from my Raptor using Tapatalk.
andreb likes this.
Chiefapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Default Pop & Lock power tailgate lock installation
just put one on today. ran the wire through the frame then into the cab on the driver side rear door where there is a grommet. Didn't use the washers, just tweaked the bracket a bit for a smooth action.

Install video here https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...0-pal8250.aspx
FarFromStock and BenBB like this.

Last edited by ogdobber; 02-27-2018 at 08:29 PM.
ogdobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I Just ordered this couple weeks ago. With this info now I can schedule the installl soon.

Thanks for the information and pictures.
tossty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

One of the better mods I have done to my truck. Unfortunately, the factory locking mechanism freezes up pretty easy with the weather up here. Not the actuators fault, just a bad design.
Prybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

j2k
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ogdobber View Post
just put one on today. ran the wire through the frame then into the cab on the driver side rear door where there is a grommet. Didn't use the washers, just tweaked the bracket a bit for a smooth action.

Install video here https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...0-pal8250.aspx
Is your tailgate Line-x'd? If so, how did you install the lock without removing the tailgate cover to access the locking mechanism?
j2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Originally Posted by j2k View Post
Is your tailgate Line-x'd? If so, how did you install the lock without removing the tailgate cover to access the locking mechanism?

My tailgate is line-x'd but they did the access cover separately specifically so you can access. I think they are all done like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For SCAB owners.

Installed one in the Scab here. No grommet for the wires like on the Screws. Ran the wires along the existing wire harness on drivers side frame with zip ties forward to firewall, then in the emergency brake cable rubber grommet on the fire wall to the wire harness channel under the drivers door sill molding. The kit includes plenty of double wire length to make the run.

#2,700 of 22,409
Built 12-11-2013
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

j2k
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by ogdobber View Post
My tailgate is line-x'd but they did the access cover separately specifically so you can access. I think they are all done like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So I looked at my tailgate again today.... you are absolutely correct. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I'm adding this to my future mod list. Thanks!
ogdobber likes this.
j2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

MTF
FRF Addict

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
For SCAB owners.

Installed one in the Scab here. No grommet for the wires like on the Screws. Ran the wires along the existing wire harness on drivers side frame with zip ties forward to firewall, then in the emergency brake cable rubber grommet on the fire wall to the wire harness channel under the drivers door sill molding. The kit includes plenty of double wire length to make the run.
I installed mine 7 years ago and worked with Pop & Lock closely to get the wiring colors corrected in their instructions.
Their absolutely are a ton off plugged holes in a Scab, some with just tape on them (thanks Ford)

This is my thread
Automatic Tailgate lock

Whipple 700+ HP 800+ in the works, Oil and Fuel pump upgrades, Custom Deavers +2 Rear Springs, Axle Exchange Driveshaft, Rogue Racing Traction Bars, Hellwig rear sway bar, Pace Edward electric bed cover with remote, Pop & Lock Tail Gate lock, Mud Flaps, Window Rain Guards, EZ Down Tailgate, Bed Rug,
Future Installs: Brembo Brakes 15" Gran Turismo
MTF is offline   Reply With Quote