Plasti-Dipped The Rap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
I’ve been considering this for a couple years now, ever since I did the busa in white. Never had the place to do it, but since we finished building end of last year I now have the room.

Definitely not everyone's color, but I dig it. I ordered "light blue" dip and while the pictures look like you'd expect, in person it's definitely Grabber Blue. I even confirmed with DYC on the proper color before using it. Every picture I've seen online of light blue dip, looked like you'd expect.... No matter if I used the DSLR or my phone for pictures, they always came out light blue. I was disappointed at first, but after pulling it out of the shop I'm glad it ended up being the color it is. I need to play with them in Photoshop to get it to look the correct color. I'm thinking it's the white balance, any experts here to fill me in?

Took WAY longer than I anticipated to tape things off. I also sprayed the black before the blue, which in hindsight I should have done black last... It'd been easier to tape. I waited 48hrs before taping off for the blue, but still wasn't long enough. I was able to fix the bumpers pretty easily with some Naptha and a brush, but I quickly realized I'd have to re-dip the fenders so I just sprayed them blue for now. In a couple weeks I think I’ll come back and spray them black since I still have 1 gallon left. I also likely will cut out the raptor lettering and put on the beds, I miss the graphics. Taping was realitively easy, hardest part was around the heat extractors.

It was hard to figure out how much dip I needed to purchase, but this is what I used and got full coverage. I lost count on how many coats I put on, it was a minimum of 6.
- 1 gallon of black to do the roof, fender flares and bumpers.
- 4 gallons to do the rest of the truck
- 1 bottle of Pre-Dip Spray
- 1 bottle of DipCoat (money well spent, feels so much less like rubber with this stuff, also protects dip)
- 4 rolls of 2” painters tape
- 1 gallon of Naptha
- 12pk of microfiber
- 1 Sunday newspaper & 2 daily newspapers
- 1 roll of brown paper for flooring

IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0844.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg
IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg
IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1110.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg

Last edited:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been considering this for a couple years now, ever since I did the busa in white. Never had the place to do it, but since we finished building end of last year I now have the room.

Dude, that came out looking really good!!! Nice right up and great job!!! My kid had a grabber blue Mustang, and I always thought that color would look good on a Raptor.

I am inspired......

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow man i gotta say i am impressed. Ill be honest i was not expecting to see something that looked nearly as good as that does. I mean that looks really good. Very very impressive, hats off to you!

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Nice.... now you gotta send it to @svc and they'll make it Smurfrunner's little brother!

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Thank you! Color has been stewing for a while, figured if I thought about that same color for so long, surely it'll look decent. I still have a gallon of black left over and want to do the fender flares again. I sort of dig the body color flares, but do think it needs some more black to offset it. I had plans on cutting out some more FORD grill lettering and wheel stripes in light blue, but the vinyl I have is definitely lighter than what it looks like in person. The white is growing on me, considering doing a white pinstripe to outline the hood vinyl... opinions?

I came across Smurfrunner after I ordered it. Some how a Raptor can pull off this color, but I was still 2nd guessing myself up to the point I started to spray.

As far as the gun, I got it when I did the busa from DYC. I'm not totally sure what it's called, it's all electric... Similar to a Wagner. I don't believe it to be the same one they put with their kits now, but it's an Earlex (sp?) brand. I'm not sure if they swapped tips prior to shipping though.

I tried find Grabber Blue and seems majority of pictures online show it lighter than what it looks in person too. Weird how camera doesn't pick up the color very well, just a really hard color to capture. This is the closest color match I've found so far.

roush-rs3-1.jpg

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Thanks! Shop is awesome to have, never had one or a garage until we built this house. Wouldn't have it any other way, other than some A/C in it.