Pinch weld - front fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j_chil

Reaction score
You don't trim with fenders, not the fronts anyways. Top perch is bad for 4wd and it's not needed with the fenders anyways.
In the front i do have to cut the bumper and the front wheel hits the body on the back at 3/4 turn. I will get pictures up later but im looking for someone who has done this before.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
here ya go. this is how I do them. Its is needed especially if you are running inner fender liners. They wont fit otherwise. I use the glassworks ones

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpg
    IMG_1088.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 371

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No this is a suspension shop that just cuts and beats the metal away. A professional body shop would cut the welds hammer it flat re weld it and paint it.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No this is a suspension shop that just cuts and beats the metal away. A professional body shop would cut the welds hammer it flat re weld it and paint it.

There's several pieces of sheet metal in that pinch weld, not just two pieces.
It would be less structurally sound to cut out the pinch seam and attempt to edge weld a joint where four pieces of sheet metal meet. Especially with no access to back weld.
What Dave did there is more or less exactly what most body shops do. They don't make quite as many relief cuts, and use a body caulking to make sure the seams stay waterproof.

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link or a thread to a full detailed write up on how this is done? I would like to take it to a pro body shop so they have an idea of what needs to be done

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward. If a bunch of garage monkeys can do it, a "pro" body shop will make short work of it.
Just tell them you want the firewall seam clearanced for your 37's, they'll do the rest.