One Man's Trash... Mid Flaps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to @TheJoker for the inspiration to pull of this cheap and easy mod. Although I feel like I might have cheated when I went to lowes and bought everything I needed instead of using what I had laying around. First I went in and found some brackets that were 10" long with 5/16 holes already drilled, no idea what they were called but they are in the door hardware section(idk maybe door mending brackets?). Next I found an anti slip mat for steps in the rug section, will post pic of label. Then I bought 8 5/16 bolts with washers and lock nuts, bought 4 longer ones and 4 shorter. The longer 4 went through the bracket,mat and frame and the shorter just through the bracket and mat to sturdy the mat. Only had to drill 2 new holes in the frame, one on each side, and open up the two existing holes on the frame to 5/16. Then I cut the mat 14" long and drilled 4 holes through each one to mount them. All in all I spent about 40 bucks. Down side is around here I don't think a single person will have any idea what they are for, and I think I will be getting lots of questions about them, wish I was smart enough to come up with a quick disconnect setup for them.

Very nice. If you want them to be removable, just use wing nuts and lock washers.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

How are your rear shocks holding up? (2012?). I see the road salt has done a number on your frame.

Last edited:

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice. If you want them to be removable, just use wing nuts and lock washers.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

How are your rear shocks holding up? (2012?). I see the road salt has done a number on your frame.
wow duh, why didn't I think of the wing nuts. Thanks

And yes it's a 2012 and rusting like a SOB, guess I should have done the undercoating. My stock shocks are trashed, but I only put them on in the winter to try and keep the 3.0s decent. Still have to scrub and polish the 3.0s when I take them off in the winter though. this why I really wanted to get this mod done, I hope this will slow down the sandblasting effect on them.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Huck, the material used on the icon mid-flap is to flimsy and need to be made out of a heavier material. On a windy day the icons will beat the shit out of the underside of the truck. I will be changing the flap material in the very near future.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wow duh, why didn't I think of the wing nuts. Thanks

And yes it's a 2012 and rusting like a SOB, guess I should have done the undercoating. My stock shocks are trashed, but I only put them on in the winter to try and keep the 3.0s decent. Still have to scrub and polish the 3.0s when I take them off in the winter though. this why I really wanted to get this mod done, I hope this will slow down the sandblasting effect on them.

When I first installed my mid flaps (this is version 2.0) I used wing nuts. I only planned to use them while off-roading. But, I decided that since the majority of the damage to my rear shocks was cause from road salt, I would keep them on year round. They are stiff enough that they don't whack the frame at all, and they're just so sexy.:ROFLJest: I get asked about them, what they and what they're for, a lot.

I've used Amsoil MPHD on my frame and recently used WD-40 Long Term Corrosion Inhibitor on my shocks / suspension. CRC 3-36 also works well on the shocks.

Last edited:

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I made a similar set while in Baja waiting on another Raptor to get weld washers installed after he lost a leaf spring bolt (another story, do you check the torque on yours? you should!)

Anyways since there is so much flex between the frame and the cab they made a ton of noise.

Anyone having that result with these? I used the same mounting points.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I made a similar set while in Baja waiting on another Raptor to get weld washers installed after he lost a leaf spring bolt (another story, do you check the torque on yours? you should!)

Anyways since there is so much flex between the frame and the cab they made a ton of noise.

Anyone having that result with these? I used the same mounting points.

No noise. Just a clean rear end........:ROFLJest: