One Man's Trash... Mid Flaps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are Mid Flaps, and why do I need them?

Mid flaps are basically mud flaps which are located between the front and rear tires. They are critical for preventing debris impacts on the rear leafs, brakes, and especially your rear shocks. Replacement shocks can cost anywhere from $600 to well over $3k. Mid flaps are a low cost way of protecting your high cost investment.

Whether you never go off road or hit the trails every chance you can, Mid flaps will protect your vehicle. Anyone who has driven down a dirt road with the stock BFG’s knows how much debris is picked up and kicked out the rear by these tires. My first mod was mud flaps on the front wheel wells. Mid flaps are just as important and should be on everyone’s mod list.

Why not just buy some?

Mid flaps are available to buy, at around $300 a set. They bolt-on and are easily removable with a quick connect system. If you aren’t handy and you have plenty of fun-money then go ahead and buy a set, you will not be disappointed. But, if you enjoy doing things yourself, and like to work with your hands, or if you just hate to throw $300 out the window, then why not just make your own, like I did?

It is extremely easy to do (this is a 1 beer project, on a scale where writing this “how to“ is a 4 beer project), and you can customize them any way you choose. I first made some out of old WeatherTech floor liners, last September, they held up great, but, I just wanted something a little beefier. After finding an old mud flap on the side of the highway, I knew I had to “upgrade” my starter set.

Here is what you’ll need:

2 - Mid flaps, approximately 12”w x 14”h x 5/16” thick (I used an old mud flap from a semi which I found).
4 - ¼”-20 x 1” hex bolts
4 - ¼”-20 nuts
4 - ¼” lock washers
4 - ¼” fender washers (I used a scrap piece of steel from an old dovetail jig which I cut into 2 - 9.5” lengths. You could use angle iron here).
1 - Drill with appropriate bits (I used a step bit for most of the project).
2 - 7/16” wrenches /sockets
1 - Utility knife and/or sharp tin snips
1 - Can of black paint / bed coating / under coating.

Originally, this project cost me nothing, I used some old floor liners, hardware that I had on hand, and parts from an old broken dovetail jig. For this how-to, I bought some new hardware just to make it pretty, so I would say it cost me about 5 bucks and some of my time. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

This is what I started with, an old dirty mud flap which I found on the side of the highway. You can get new ones on eBay or Amazon.

Photo bucket sucks!

This is after cleaning up the old mud flap and cutting it to size. A piece or cardboard cut to size works well as

Here you can see the existing holes in the frame, and the hole I had to drill in the running board

Everything is ready to be installed. Note the elongated mounting holes in the mid flaps to allow

These pics show how I attached them to the truck (drivers side):

Photo bucket sucks!

Sexy:

Some have said that the “manufactured” mid flaps whack the underside of the truck, and have even had to weigh them down to prevent this. I haven’t experienced any of this, either on my original set, or the latest version. Maybe because of the bar I used to clamp them down, or maybe it’s because I bolted them directly to the truck (no quick connect), I’m not sure?

The idea for this project started after I attended a “suspension seminar” at RK Motorsports aka: www.ratorkustomz.com, where the owner, Rory Koehler actually suggested making mid flaps out of old mud flaps. I also had help from @BIGt0007 who had already made some DIY mid flaps, as well as many other DIY projects for the Raptor. I also want to quote @Ruger who said: “This isn’t rocket surgery”. Thanks guys!

You can't see it in the pictures, but this mud flap was "Made In The USA".:waytogo: I also plan to make paddles for my snowthrower's auger with the left over rubber, and a wind chime out of the old rusty metal, left over from the mud flap. Hows that for yankee ingenuity?

Last edited:

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the purchased set, and while they do work great, I have ripped them off no less than 4 times, all at TRR. Icon was nice enough to replace them as I ripped them off, but I eventually gave up. they have a cool mount point. As for banging the underside of the truck, yes, at speed on the highway they will create a god awful noise, so only use them off roading.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the mention Joker
Great job and great pics.
A quick tip....set the flaps a few inches off the pavement unless you like to hear annoying noises when driving on pavement.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the mention Joker
Great job and great pics.
A quick tip....set the flaps a few inches off the pavement unless you like to hear annoying noises when driving on pavement.

I have mine about 4.5" off the ground. Maybe that's why the Icons whack the bottom of the truck? I know that they almost touch the ground.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Very cool setup. I know @treypal was possibly going to start offering something too.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The reasons the icons slapped was cause the material for the flap was so thin and flexible. Replaced it with locally sourced custom cut flaps and no weights needed and they don't flap.

Key is to make sure they stay put over 30mph

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to @TheJoker for the inspiration to pull of this cheap and easy mod. Although I feel like I might have cheated when I went to lowes and bought everything I needed instead of using what I had laying around. First I went in and found some brackets that were 10" long with 5/16 holes already drilled, no idea what they were called but they are in the door hardware section(idk maybe door mending brackets?). Next I found an anti slip mat for steps in the rug section, will post pic of label. Then I bought 8 5/16 bolts with washers and lock nuts, bought 4 longer ones and 4 shorter. The longer 4 went through the bracket,mat and frame and the shorter just through the bracket and mat to sturdy the mat. Only had to drill 2 new holes in the frame, one on each side, and open up the two existing holes on the frame to 5/16. Then I cut the mat 14" long and drilled 4 holes through each one to mount them. All in all I spent about 40 bucks. Down side is around here I don't think a single person will have any idea what they are for, and I think I will be getting lots of questions about them, wish I was smart enough to come up with a quick disconnect setup for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 263