Non-Step BedRug work with Tailgate Step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I traded in my Black Raptor with the standard tailgate for a Silver Crew with the step in the tailgate.

I have the BedRug from my old truck and want to get some protection for the bed of the new truck. I'm considering cutting off the tailgate piece and just installing the bed and sides and just leaving the regular factory tailgate piece...

Opinions?

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would cut off the standard bedrug tailgate piece so that you can tuck it under the black plastic liner on the tailgate.
If that makes sense.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I would leave the piece that covers over the hinged part of the tailgate but yeah -- tuck it down under the plastic thingy.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I'm buying a bunch of velcro, rubbing alcohol and scissors tonight. Man, some poor college chick is going to think I'm a dirty old man at Wal-Mart tonight!

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would leave the piece that covers over the hinged part of the tailgate but yeah -- tuck it down under the plastic thingy.

Yes exactly.

Wait, she will think your a dirty old man!? Maybe you are...

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should go to a junk yard and get an access panel off of a standard tailgate, get rid of the stripper pole, and you will have a normal tailgate, but with a step in the top. a bunch of my customers have been doing this lately so they can have linex instead of the crappy plastic liner, and bulky stripper pole.

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait, she will think your a dirty old man!? Maybe you are...
Haha, maybe...
you should go to a junk yard and get an access panel off of a standard tailgate, get rid of the stripper pole, and you will have a normal tailgate, but with a step in the top. a bunch of my customers have been doing this lately so they can have linex instead of the crappy plastic liner, and bulky stripper pole.
I've no interest in Line-X for the bed, so it's not really too bad to have the stripper pole. I never plan on using the damn step anyway, but it's there and I want to keep the truck as it was made. So, I don't know. I think I'll figure out this bedrug thing and re-install. :)

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, maybe...

I've no interest in Line-X for the bed, so it's not really too bad to have the stripper pole. I never plan on using the damn step anyway, but it's there and I want to keep the truck as it was made. So, I don't know. I think I'll figure out this bedrug thing and re-install. :)

if you got the standard access panel, you could take off the pole and your bedrug will fit like it did on your black truck. you would always have the pole and plastic liner to reinstall later if you wanted to, i wasnt trying to talk you into linex, just trying to tell you how to make your tailgate like your black truck so you could install your bedrug.