My Ghetto TireGate/Back-Up Camera Solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wish there was a way to make it look a little more organic to the tire gate. and then run the lines through the tube to the hinge end and have a quick disconnect there that would be waterproof.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks....yeah, like I stated in my post I could've tied it to the bottom tube to avoid having to disconnect the camera every time I open the gate but I wanted a similar perspective to the OEM location on the tailgate. I may lower it though so the cable is totally hidden.

$50K?! Pfft! Try $60K+ up in Canada! Lol! At least the tie wraps are black! ;)

Oops, sorry about that. I missed the last paragraph when I was reading it on my phone.

I just pulled mine from my tailgate and mounted it. Thanks for posting this solution.

ED62F547-54FB-4673-804A-09E63238035B-4341-000002AF56CFE808_zps83378f33.jpg

OP
OP
Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^No worries, Bigg....looks good!

I just wish there was a way to make it look a little more organic to the tire gate. and then run the lines through the tube to the hinge end and have a quick disconnect there that would be waterproof.

Yeah, I had looked into a much more elaborate and integrated solution. My thought was to drill a tapered hole into the bottom tube, then fab up a housing for the camera and then run the cable through the tube. The problem (or one of the problems) was that you can't run the cable through the hinge of the TireGate and it still has to exit the tube at some point to link to the connector under the bed.
Plus to fab a housing that would look decent was a PITA....so for me, since I only run the TireGate in the Summer and I switch back to the OEM gate and Bakflip for the Winter...this was acceptable. But I still may move the camera to the lower tube.
Don't forget to put some dielectric grease in the connector, it's fairly well sealed but the grease will disperse moisture if any gets in there.

Last edited:

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea we will see. Mine would be more petmanent as i wouldnt switch back and forth. That mod for me is a lot further down on the list. Maybe someone will have a solution by then...

OP
OP
Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fabbed my own tire gate and made this mount to hold the camera. I thought about making a couple somewhat similar that could be mounted on a TireGate by drill/tapping a couple 1/4" holes. Any interest out there??

I'd be interested in seeing a design....very interested as long as it's solid and doesn't require any more modifications than drilling a few holes in the TireGate tube.

Nice job!