My Ghetto TireGate/Back-Up Camera Solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought a TireGate for my truck last year I didn't know how I was going to integrate the back up camera as I've now found that I can't live without it! So after looking at invasive solutions like cutting/welding in a small housing into the bottom tube of the gate, or bumper....I just used two tie wraps and about 5 minutes of my time and came up with this...

img1092800x598.jpg

img1094800x598.jpg

I bought an OEM camera on ebay that came with the mounting bracket along with a connection cable from the dealer...all together cost me ~$150 total. I could've tied it to the bottom tube to avoid having to disconnect the camera every time I open the gate but I wanted a similar perspective to the OEM location on the tailgate. It's been on there for the past month and a half through several rainstorms...the camera is watertight so no need for further weatherproofing and the spare actually shelters it....works really well!

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bigg50 is going to be all over this. He needs to figure out how to get the camera out of the old tailgate

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great idea and ill probably copy you. One thing though, you probably want to mount it to the lower bar so you can open the gate.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you have already broke the zip ties out, you might try running the cable down the same tube so that you can open it without it binding...

Evanscott29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else had the same idea... I hope to copy you one day as well but my wife just rolled her eyes when I very excitedly told her.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait for it.....you bought a $50,000 truck and you are using zip ties to hold your camera on the truck? :)

OP
OP
Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea and ill probably copy you. One thing though, you probably want to mount it to the lower bar so you can open the gate.

Thanks....yeah, like I stated in my post I could've tied it to the bottom tube to avoid having to disconnect the camera every time I open the gate but I wanted a similar perspective to the OEM location on the tailgate. I may lower it though so the cable is totally hidden.

Wait for it.....you bought a $50,000 truck and you are using zip ties to hold your camera on the truck? :)

$50K?! Pfft! Try $60K+ up in Canada! Lol! At least the tie wraps are black! ;)