Mountain Bike Bed Rack/Holder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FilthyRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody on the market sells a rack/system that will hold one bike facing forward without removing the front wheel to lock the fork in.
They make this ************* Thule Insta-Gater Truck Bike Rack - Free Shipping at REI.com that is good for nothing since the rear wheels got to come off.

I'd like some little curved piece that bolts to the front left of the bed that the wheel slides into and has a tiedown go across the front wheel cinching it in.

Anyone that can weld should be able to make one in a hour and start selling.

For anyone that hates bike racks that aren't totally secure a little story for you.

Last year I went out and bought my first mountain bike and top of the line rack for one of my cars trunks and tied it down tight. Was keeping an eye on it from the shop all the way to the highway to make sure it was still good and seconds after merging onto i95 rush hour 80mph traffic i'm looking back and all of a sudden something snapped the rear end dropped all the way down hit the ground bounced the bike back up and spun the bars all the way around and my brand new $6500 bike was dangleing like a drunken monkey off its REAR BRAKE LINE!! I jump across 3 lanes straight into the sholder so glad a hook caught a brake line, if it tumbled when it hit the ground im sure the frame would have splintered into a million pieces and the rest have caused a10car pileup (weekly norm).

Glad to have a truck to stick it in now haha

Squid 3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my road and MTN bike on the roof of my last car using a top of the line Thule rack. Never had a problem.
During an argument with the wife ( may have called her "heavy" (don't recall it)) I backed into the garage at our house in front of my neighbor. Plumb forgot about the hardware on the roof. Insert large crunching sound. Proceed to rip both bikes and the roof rack off the car and drag them over the hood.
I have a list as long as my arm of things I had to replace on both bikes, the damage to the car and rack. Probably a $10,000 mistake all told
Funny part is that I worked at a bike store and had been making fun of people that had done that very same thing.
Nothing better than not having to worry about it any more.

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you just lay them flat and tie it down on the bed so it wont move?

Nobody on the market sells a rack/system that will hold one bike facing forward without removing the front wheel to lock the fork in.
They make this ************* Thule Insta-Gater Truck Bike Rack - Free Shipping at REI.com that is good for nothing since the rear wheels got to come off.

I'd like some little curved piece that bolts to the front left of the bed that the wheel slides into and has a tiedown go across the front wheel cinching it in.

Anyone that can weld should be able to make one in a hour and start selling.

For anyone that hates bike racks that aren't totally secure a little story for you.

Last year I went out and bought my first mountain bike and top of the line rack for one of my cars trunks and tied it down tight. Was keeping an eye on it from the shop all the way to the highway to make sure it was still good and seconds after merging onto i95 rush hour 80mph traffic i'm looking back and all of a sudden something snapped the rear end dropped all the way down hit the ground bounced the bike back up and spun the bars all the way around and my brand new $6500 bike was dangleing like a drunken monkey off its REAR BRAKE LINE!! I jump across 3 lanes straight into the sholder so glad a hook caught a brake line, if it tumbled when it hit the ground im sure the frame would have splintered into a million pieces and the rest have caused a10car pileup (weekly norm).

Glad to have a truck to stick it in now haha

AndyMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you're interested but we made this...
BikeRack-PVC-02.jpg

Make your own Bike Rack

Just thought I'd throw it out there for an option for you. Depending on the frame length of your bike or if your hauling more than one you may need to have the tailgate down but if its just your bike you can haul it slightly angled and the tailgate can be shut. On my old truck with a 6.5' box all three bikes could be hauled straight, just a little tighter with the 5.5' box. Still works and was cheap to make.

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^
Thats pretty good

BikeRack-PVC-02.jpg

Make your own Bike Rack

Just thought I'd throw it out there for an option for you. Depending on the frame length of your bike or if your hauling more than one you may need to have the tailgate down but if its just your bike you can haul it slightly angled and the tailgate can be shut. On my old truck with a 6.5' box all three bikes could be hauled straight, just a little tighter with the 5.5' box. Still works and was cheap to make.

andypick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my 100mph downhill bike rack..
2568-100mph-rack.jpg

Holds 5 dh bikes tight.. Fits tight in bed.

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BikeRack-PVC-02.jpg

Make your own Bike Rack

That is sweet. Wish I could get something like that.

M3 WRATH

Reaction score
Every bike I have is too long to keep both wheels mounted and have it sit straight in the bed (too slack of a head angle I guess) so I decided to get a front axle mount from Rocky Mounts. It is lockable so it does give some level of security. I had a local fabricator (the line-x guy actually) make a steel bar that goes from one side of the bed to the other and I bolted it into the existing tie down holes (so completely removable without leaving any trace behind). I then had the tie downs attached to the steel bar so I could still use them when necessary. I attached two Rocky Mount HD mounts to the steel bar (one to each side of my spare tire so I can haul two bikes) and had the whole thing coated with line-x (pretty convenient since he was also the fabricator!). It cost me $100 for the fabrication, $100 for line-x, and $79 per mount. I know its not as cheap as some hitch mount bike racks but it's secure, unobtrusive, and looks pretty clean and custom (in my opinion). I just wanted to show that you have some options and hopefully this will give you some ideas for your dream bike rack. My front tire fits really well in the space between the bar and the front of the bed. My spare tire keeps it from rolling back and forth, but you could easily have a small piece welded on to the steel bar to keep the tire in place.

Attachments

• Bike Rack 1.jpg
    Bike Rack 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Bike Rack 2.jpg
    Bike Rack 2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Bike Rack 3.jpg
    Bike Rack 3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Bike Rack 4.jpg
    Bike Rack 4.jpg