Line-X Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildClyde

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had my 2012 Tuxedo Black SCrew treated with Line-X premium today.

When I droped the truck off I asked that they remove the four plastic flanges that the bed extender plugs into (2 left and 2 right) and told them that I had ordered new flanges that could be popped in when I picked up the truck.

When I picked up the truck I discovered that Line-X had painted over the existing flanges. They said we do this all the time - it's standard operating procedure. The guy demonstrated that the bed extender lock still works fine. A picture below shows one of the flanges.

Questions:

Should I press Line-X to do the work the way that I wanted it done or is this going to make the situation worse? Can Line-X be cut and repaired?

Is there an outfit that sells black painted bolts and washers for the truck bed. My bolts stick out like a sore thumb. A picture below shows the bolts.

How soon after Line-X dries can it be taken out in the rain. Is 24 hours a safe time? I got mixed answers from Line-X: both yes and no.

Thanks,

Clyde

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 113

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how much of an issue you want to make this.

If it works just fine and you can live with it, it may be more of a hassle than it's worth however, that just gets to me deep down. I HATE it when a company doesn't listen to the customer and just does what they want.

You have a right to have the job done to your satisfaction. If they said they would do as you asked and then disregarded your wishes, they need to make it right.

As for how difficult it will be, I have no idea but I'm sure the Line-X member here will have a solid understanding of what all is involved.

Good luck.

As for the bolts, you can always rattle can them rather than buy new hardware.

~BGM

Tautog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine color matched and didn't want the bolts done and that's what they did, to me it looks better. Also after 24 hours they told me to use the bed any way I'd like it rained no problem. Good luck!

Fordx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They dont linex the bolts so you can still remove the bed without tearing the liner up. Just tape them up real good and spraypaint them with some bedliner in a can.

OP
OP
WildClyde

WildClyde

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They dont linex the bolts so you can still remove the bed without tearing the liner up. Just tape them up real good and spraypaint them with some bedliner in a can.

I'm not upset about the bolts being left unpainted. I've seen trucks with Line-X where the bolts were painted gloss black after the Line-X treatment and that looked pretty sharp.

I am upset that Line-X painted over an expendable plastic part that needs to be replacable because of wear. And I had asked them to remove them.

Thanks,
Clyde

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could carefully cut around the plastic piece and remove them leaving a perfect hole for the new one to slide into. You would probably need to use a Dremel though and destroy the existing plastic, the Linex is tough stuff.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not upset about the bolts being left unpainted. I've seen trucks with Line-X where the bolts were painted gloss black after the Line-X treatment and that looked pretty sharp.

I am upset that Line-X painted over an expendable plastic part that needs to be replacable because of wear. And I had asked them to remove them.

Thanks,
Clyde

First off Welcome to the FRF!!

Ford does not take them out (if truck has bed ext option) when you order a spray-in bedliner as a factory option. On any F150 - F450 truck.

randy