How to Keep Aftermarket Bumper from Rusting Out?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This bumper is less that 1 1/2 years old and it's been rusting away for a while now. The powder coating started flaking after a few months and now it looks like it does.

What are my best options to keep it from rusting anymore than it already has?

It makes the truck look like shit with all the rust.

I appreciate the "Made in America" part, and the bumper itself seems decent quality; but the powder coating and cheap lights are another thing to be desired.

2rc6ds7.jpg
w9frdg.jpg
24xhzww.jpg
hvutl5.jpg
2d27yoo.jpg

OP
OP
carlschmarl2

carlschmarl2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best option is probably line x

Will a Line-Ex shop grind all the powder coating off and get it back to bare metal?

Also, I don't know if I can remove the lights either...I had to use lock-tite to hold them on. The plastic/aluminum housing stripped out after a few months and the lights were aimed right at the ground after an off-raod trip.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
That just looks like a crappy powdercoat job. Powdercoat should last longer than 1½ years (unless you scratch it, then moisture will start to get underneath and start flaking it away). Line-x would probably be the most durable option, but most costly too. You will most likely have to take the bumper to a shop to have it media blasted to bare metal, and then take it to desired shop to have recoated.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strip and re powder or line x. I had a local guy who does really good work do my raw SVC front bumper in powder and its going on 2 years with no flaws. It was probably just bad prep by the powder coater if it flaked that quick

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Strip and re powder or line x. I had a local guy who does really good work do my raw SVC front bumper in powder and its going on 2 years with no flaws. It was probably just bad prep by the powder coater if it flaked that quick

I'd wager it has more to do with Ohio vs. Nevada than quality of the powder coating work.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have it sand blasted then powdercoat. Once that is done have it linexed.

Linex works great but needs a good base to prevent rust, that's where the powdercoat and sandblast come in. Powdercoat seals the bumper then the linex being tary prevents scratches and water from getting in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd wager it has more to do with Ohio vs. Nevada than quality of the powder coating work.

Not all of Nevada is Las Vegas lol. I'm at the base of Lake Tahoe and I see a fair amount of snow and road chemicals. My powder has only been through 2 winters but it's still looking good. If the OP's flaked immediately my bet is on crappy powder job

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not all of Nevada is Las Vegas lol. I'm at the base of Lake Tahoe and I see a fair amount of snow and road chemicals. My powder has only been through 2 winters but it's still looking good. If the OP's flaked immediately my bet is on crappy powder job

I hear you. But Ohio is in the heart of the rust belt. They don't call it that for nothing.