how to install brake pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what thread this fits in. But Im looking at installing my R1concept break pads and rotors. I have never done this before and was looking for a good write up.

smarsha11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a Cards fan I am bound by honor to not disclose any information that may be helpful to a Cubs fan.

butt.. Being a Raptor owner earns my respect back.

I upgraded to R1's a couple of months ago and it was no big deal. Be mindful of the tabs on the pads and make sure the replacements are inserted the same way. They can be put in wrong which can cause them to rub on some Method wheels. Also be careful when removing your calipers and use something to hang them on to keep them from dropping and risk snapping a brake line. This happened to me and the truck had to sit in the garage for a week waiting on a replacement line. You may also require a BFHammer to break loose the rotors.

OP
OP
cubiefan101

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any special tools needed. I was watching a video on a f150 and they needed a big socket to remove the rotors.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

I also saw a guy using a manual hammer drill to loosen a screw.

smarsha11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No special tools required. You were probably watching a video of them changing rotors on a 2 wheel drive F150. You just need to remove the calipers - just 2 bolts hold them on if I recall - then with a little help from a hammer you should be able to knock the rotors loose and replace. Don't be afraid to beat on them. It may take a few whacks.

You may want to go your local autoparts store and get a tube of brake lube and regrease the caliper pins while you have the opportunity.

raptor1001

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
FYI, when I did mine it took MUCH MUCH more than a little tap on the old rotors to knock them off. So be mindful and bring a big stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
cubiefan101

cubiefan101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good...going to give it a try next week while I've got a day off.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Also did you guys have to torque wrench anything down?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Subscribed.
I have pads from Chris at FreedomMotorsports.com waiting. At 50K miles on the clock, I don't need to work on the brakes yet, but it'll come time soon enough.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need a 1/2 socket to remove the Calipers and 1" to remove the caliper bracket so you can remove the rotor. As stated, there's a good chance your rotor is rusted to the hub surface. Since you have new rotors, be prepared to smack the chit out of the old rotor to get it off. You may even have to heat it with a torch. Just be ready for it. Make sure you have some caliper grease and some brake parts cleaner. Grease goes on the back of the pads and cleaner is to make sure none of the manufacturing oil is left on the rotors. The R1's come with a paper that describes the burn in process, so don't loose that.

There are different schools of thought on the following. Some will open the bleeder screw to push the pistons back into the caliper to make room for the new meatier pads/rotors and some will just use a C clamp and push the fluid back into the master cylinder. Just remember if you open the bleeder, you'll need to bleed the brakes to get any air out.

Plenty of good info out there. If you want to wait for the weekend of the 6th, you can come up by me and I'll help. We have stuff in the afternoon, but we can get it done in the morning. I'm near Gurnee.

Todd