Hidden winch mount with KC Lightbar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avnmaintman

Reaction score
I am trying to find out if the Hidden winch mount with no additional modifications to the front with the KC Lightbar mounted. I am in Iraq and trying to get the information so I can order the winch mount and winch before I get back, so I can install it on my break...lol :emotions122: Does anyone know?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am trying to find out if the Hidden winch mount with no additional modifications to the front with the KC Lightbar mounted. I am in Iraq and trying to get the information so I can order the winch mount and winch before I get back, so I can install it on my break...lol :emotions122: Does anyone know?

How does it attach? I just installed my SDHQ mount + winch about a month ago. If you explain how the KC lightbar attaches I can probably answer.

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 210
OP
OP
avnmaintman

avnmaintman

Reaction score
It wraps around the frame and attaches with the tow hook mount bolts. The bar is on the outside of the truck frame.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It wraps around the frame and attaches with the tow hook mount bolts. The bar is on the outside of the truck frame.

Does it mount between the tow hooks and the frame? My first concern is that this is also where the winch plate mounts. With the winch plate bolted up the tow hooks are slightly lower causing them to nearly touch the skid plate. If you were sandwiching in the light bar mount as well I think you would have to trim the skid plate to allow the tow hooks to fit - though I bet if you bolted it all up it would squeeze down enough to probably work. Other than that I think it would probably work, but I'd have to see how it mounts to the tow hooks to tell you for sure.

OP
OP
avnmaintman

avnmaintman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info... So the winch mount bolts up to the bottom of the frame? And which winch did you install?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... So the winch mount bolts up to the bottom of the frame? And which winch did you install?

Among other places, yes. I'd review the instructions on SDHQ's website, but I think the tow hook spot is the only concern I'd have regarding your setup. The other mounting spots are tucked behind the bumper and also mount to the frame/bumper.

I installed a Viper Elite 12,000 lb winch. I took a gamble on a somewhat new/unknown product. So far I'm quite impressed with it. $700 shipped with synthetic line, wired and wireless remotes, free accessory bag with straps, snatch block, shackles, etc. I've already had to use it twice, once to pull a jeep out of sand (buried to the frame on 39s) and once to pull my butt up a hill after I broke an axle.

OP
OP
avnmaintman

avnmaintman

Reaction score
Thanks again. I am wanting to get the Warn XD900i 9,500 winch. I have had one before and it never failed me. I am going to try the mount. Worst case I have to get the light bar welded to the winch mount.. lol I just don't want to mod the grill or bumper...

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks again. I am wanting to get the Warn XD900i 9,500 winch. I have had one before and it never failed me. I am going to try the mount. Worst case I have to get the light bar welded to the winch mount.. lol I just don't want to mod the grill or bumper...

Warns will fit it - same bolt pattern. I believe it was specifically made for the Warn 9,000 anyway.
Do you have to mod the bottom grill and bumper slightly to install the winch plate. You have to remove that bottom grill and bend or remove the little tabs on the bumper where it attached. You can get away with just bending those, but I had to remove the two bottom outter ones where I also installed lights. In addition you have to bend or remove this 1" tab from the bumper - I highly recommend removing that one instead of bending it. It's pointless anyway. You do have to remove your bumper/skid plate to install the winch plate. Also, make sure you have a 5/8" drill bit for the frame and if at all possible a close quarters drill able to use that bit. The second set of 5/8"s holes you have to drill is a real pain to get to. Also, that rubber dust cover thing won't fit afterwards, but it's really close. I used zip ties to bridge the gap rather than the push pins that won't reach any more. I believe SDHQ just cuts it. The bumper isn't heavy, but it's a real pain by yourself to install or remove cause it gets hung up on the body plastic.

OP
OP
avnmaintman

avnmaintman

Reaction score
Do you have to buy additional hardware or does it come with the mount? I have everything else, I hope...lol You know how that goes...