has anyone else noticed their BAKflip tonneau covers fading??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Fibermax cover from Morrie after my truck was delivered 2 years ago and recently noticed that it seems to be fading quite a bit. after a few searches online it seems that this is a somewhat regular occurrence. Has this happened to anyone else here? I plan on calling BAKflip today to see if they'll warranty it as I read there was a 3 year warranty on the finish??

on another note, is Morrie (BAK Factory Outlet) still around? haven't seen anyone mention him in a while and couldn't get to his website either.

OP
OP
Jme

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spoke to Lori @ tonneau factory outlet (used to be BAK Factory Outlet I assume)... she said the Fibermax only has a 2 year warranty, which of course was up 2 months ago for me! I sent her a bunch of pictures and she said that she would contact BAK to see what they say. It's obvious that this didn't just start happening after the warranty ended so I hope they stand by their product!

So much for the "UV Protection to keep it from fading!" that it touts on the BAK site, lol.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 124

SchultzLD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you had any issues with the rubber seals falling off? Both at the tailgate, and up by the glass, the rubber seals have separated from the cover. I was going to just go to Low's and buy some sticky backed stuff... I dunno yet.

155mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the rubber bumpers from my F1 are falling off. I glue them back on if I can find the pieces, otherwise I have some weatherstripping I try to stick on. The problem is the heat in the summer I think.

Also the plastic snapped off of one of the arms that holds the cover up against the rear glass. I think I'm out of warranty on it too.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an F1 that was bought in November '09 when I got the truck and it lives in a climate controled garage and has 35,000 miles on it. That being said, the hardware has rusted, the seals have curled, the bumpers have been glued back on a few times, the panels are sagging, and it's faded. If there is another product on the market for the Gen 2's that has the same features, I'm interested.

OP
OP
Jme

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just heard back that they're sending me a replacement...

I just have to "destroy" this one first... Either drill holes in it or spray paint both sides. I just dropped the truck off to get detailed so I guess I'll take care of that tomorrow night when I pick it up. She said it was a good faith replacement since my warranty was up a couple months ago.

schmitty

Reaction score
I had the same issue, contacted Bak Industries directly. All I had to do was take pictures of the fading and the receipt. I also registered it on their site, but I'm not sure that was needed. Then, once they verified it was still under warranty (with the receipt) and the fading was covered (based on the pictures) they had me either drill a bunch of holes or paint both sides and send pictures. They put the order in the same day the pictures of the "destroyed" cover were received. Now I just have to wait 7-10 days to receive the new cover. They told me to keep the rails and reuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: