Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1]

Hard Tonneau Cover Options

This is a discussion on Hard Tonneau Cover Options within the Ford Raptor Exterior Modifications Forum [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
I've been debating what sort of tonneau cover to purchase for my Raptor. Originally, I was leaning toward an A.R.E. ...

User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Hard Tonneau Cover Options
I've been debating what sort of tonneau cover to purchase for my Raptor.

Originally, I was leaning toward an A.R.E. LSX or LSX Ultra cover, but I had a few reservations. I've seen A.R.E. covers on other trucks on the road and it always seems like their latches are crooked which looks cheesy. Additionally, the A.R.E. LSX tonneau cover is, IMO, a bit ugly on the 2009 and up F-150s. I'd be willing to overlook that if the cover was of a higher quality than other options.

The Patriot Victory tonneau cover has a slightly better appearance than the A.R.E. LSX but information available online concerning this cover is sparse.

The UnderCover SE Smooth is more attractive than the above fiberglass covers. I don't know how the UnderCover SE' ABS plastic will hold up over time versus the fiberglass.

My universal concern is that I would like to be able to open the tonneau cover inside my garage without bashing it into the garage door opener tracks. This track sits higher than the garage door's opening (7 feet) but I don't know its precise height off the top of my head. Does anyone have experience with these options or others like them?

The Outrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I have the LSX A.R.E. Tonneau Cover.
It's a very nice cover but not good for going anywhere off-road.
I personally love the look of it but I'll be putting it up for sale this spring because I need something better for doing all these off road events I've been doing.
Attached Thumbnails
back-raptor.jpg   raptor-cover-solar-cell.jpg   right-rear-sm-.jpg  

raptor-cover-2-sm-.jpg  
IRONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I've been looking at hard tonneau covers for my truck as well. I'm not a big fan of the painted fiberglass covers so I'm looking more at the folding hard covers (Bakflip HD, Diamondback) or even the rolling hard covers (Bak Rollback, Bak RollX). These would definitely solve your problem with hitting the garage door tracks. I hear they are also better for off-roading.
goinsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by IRONMAN View Post
I have the LSX A.R.E. Tonneau Cover.
It's a very nice cover but not good for going anywhere off-road.
I personally love the look of it but I'll be putting it up for sale this spring because I need something better for doing all these off road events I've been doing.
What issues are you encountering when using the A.R.E. LSX? Does it become misaligned?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Originally Posted by goinsvt View Post
I've been looking at hard tonneau covers for my truck as well. I'm not a big fan of the painted fiberglass covers so I'm looking more at the folding hard covers (Bakflip HD, Diamondback) or even the rolling hard covers (Bak Rollback, Bak RollX). These would definitely solve your problem with hitting the garage door tracks. I hear they are also better for off-roading.
I've considered those options as well. From my online research, it seems that the folding panel tonneau covers have hinges which rust, panels which fade over time, and have poor weather sealing. The thought of resting a set of panels on my truck's cab gives me the heebie-jeebies. The roll top tonneau covers were actually one of my first choices due to their flexibility. I've read of similar issues with poor weather sealing and overly complex drainage systems with these covers as well.
The Outrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

I have the one you can buy from the dealer. Its a nice cover but I have to check the bolts on the clips before I go off road(already had IG move and take paint off both sides of my bed). And my door is 7 foot on my garage and I can open the cover high enough to get everything out but it won't go all the way up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
JJ f150harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

uploadfromtaptalk1391096821820.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391096844259.jpguploadfromtaptalk1391096864804.jpg

Works great in winter compared to my other soft top truxedo that leaks on the sides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
JJ f150harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I have the gaylords lid.
Attached Thumbnails
i-phone-pics-379.jpg   raptor.-ready-004.jpg   002.jpg  

2011raptor. Molten. Rpg stage 3 uca,s tie rods steering reservoir, top perch. Sw headers. Full exhaust. Air raid cold air intake. 5 star tune. Painted to match flares and bumpers. Gaylord bed cover. Stubby antenna. Ducati retrofit headlites. Leather console lid. Amsoil clear undercoat. bedrug. tuffy underseat storage. method machined surface nv wheels. BFG KO2. 35x12.50 x 17
beemerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Leer 700 matches very well with the Raptors' lines.
debate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

FRF Lady

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by goinsvt View Post
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
What issues are you encountering when using the A.R.E. LSX? Does it become misaligned?

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I've considered those options as well. From my online research, it seems that the folding panel tonneau covers have hinges which rust, panels which fade over time, and have poor weather sealing. The thought of resting a set of panels on my truck's cab gives me the heebie-jeebies. The roll top tonneau covers were actually one of my first choices due to their flexibility. I've read of similar issues with poor weather sealing and overly complex drainage systems with these covers as well.

We have an Extang Solid Fold... even jumped with it on... Love it and no problems... pretty impressed that you can stand on the thing.

Only issue we ran into was putting on a light bar rack. Joe and WSI custom designed one.
Attached Thumbnails
p6061617.jpg   p6061619.jpg  

Old 01-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

My powertrax pro is perfect. Seals great looks great and it opens and closes with 6" of snow sitting on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk