Gloss Black or Flat Black Flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I know this thread just got dug up, but this looked like a better place to put this. There's now a 3m Vinyl that's dang near a perfect match for the Tuxedo Black paint. I saw someone use it on another website. Here's a couple of pics.

tuxblack1.jpg
tuxblack2.jpg
DSC_5882.jpg

Just incase the pics stop working at any point, the info on the vinyl is:
3m ScotchPrint Wrap Film G212 Gloss Black Metallic

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I debated the same thing. I chose gloss black and very happy. You could always vinyl wrap it to.

Nice look! What wheels do you have?

As for the flares, I did linex on mine and love them. I wish I would've looked into doing the bumpers!

vince7

Reaction score
TripleE44, thanks for posting this. I'll look into that vinyl cause my next question about paint is wouldn't it chip off? I'm assuming this vinyl wouldn't have the same chipping or peeling issues?

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to paint mine to match the truck. I would personally love to see someone paint match an molten orange truck.

TripleE44

Reaction score
TripleE44, thanks for posting this. I'll look into that vinyl cause my next question about paint is wouldn't it chip off? I'm assuming this vinyl wouldn't have the same chipping or peeling issues?

Paint probably wouldn't chip off of the flares if prepped properly unless it was hit with a rock pretty hard. The issue with the vinyl though is how good you get it on there, how smooth it comes out and then the life span of the vinyl itself. I think most nicer ones are like 7-year vinyls. At that point it might start to fade, or even crack, so that's something to keep in mind. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but just be prepared that it won't really last quite as long as paint can. And there's always a chance that the same rock that chips the paint could tear the vinyl as well, and there's no touching up with vinyl.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just sent my fender flares off to get carbon fiber dipped

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

just sent my fender flares to get carbon fiber dipped and semigloss clear finish. Orange truck

Who is doing that for you?

vince7

Reaction score
Paint probably wouldn't chip off of the flares if prepped properly unless it was hit with a rock pretty hard. The issue with the vinyl though is how good you get it on there, how smooth it comes out and then the life span of the vinyl itself. I think most nicer ones are like 7-year vinyls. At that point it might start to fade, or even crack, so that's something to keep in mind. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but just be prepared that it won't really last quite as long as paint can. And there's always a chance that the same rock that chips the paint could tear the vinyl as well, and there's no touching up with vinyl.

Roger that, I'll keep that in mind. Still checking out my options.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
runNgun29 I like that look a lot, did you gloss black your back fender as well? Anyway you could post a picture? Also did you lift the front Fox suspension to level your truck?

Great to meet ya at the TMX shop today Vince. Nice truck! Flat black looks SICK!

zybu5ygy.jpg

jymapy4e.jpg

Be sure to post up some pics when ya get it together.
John

Last edited:

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Vinyl is one of the best options for the flares, not a fan of the bedliner texture on them, would also be a bit tougher to keep clean IMO.

c4sxm5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone try plasti dipping the flares? curious if they will hold up well...