Fender wells, not line-x

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a line on a "low-tech" version of rear fender well blackened protection... I ran through this sub-forum and the only post I found on it was that "whtrapta" had thought of this as well and applied it..

I went with a standard non-skid bed mat from truckchamps and it fits my needs well. I kind of like scuffing the inside of my bed, it's a truck damnit!:Jedi:

However, I hated the slightly off color rear fender wells. Could'nt find a line-x or rhino liner that would do the wells only so I did it myself in about 40 minutes per well for $13...

You will need:

Spray in bedliner 1.5 cans (I used plasticoat) bond auto, advance, etc...
100-180 grit sandpaper, by hand with a block for me
wifes fingernail polish remover,or yours, or just buy some as I did..:)
tape and something to block off the area's you dont want to coat.
A clean fender well... Pressure washer, coins etc..

Steps:
Clean the area, use the sandpaper to roughen the shit out of all surfaces in need of the coat, use the acetone (nail polish solvent) to remove all traces of grease, oil, sanding debris etc.

Then, drape the wheel and cover/tape anything you do not want coated. apply the coating fully covering all areas in need, wait 10 min then reapply a second coat, wait ten etc... 30 min after last coat remove masking...Done

I took the first well to the first coat and then started knocking out steps on the second well in the down time... Pics below...

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 131
  • rap4.jpg
    rap4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 120
  • Rap1.jpg
    Rap1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 116
  • rap3.JPG
    rap3.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 126

19-Kilo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, did the same thing to mine... silver fenders are not good... I used 3M Rubberized Under Coating... seems to work well. I only have a few rock chips from the past 1500 miles (some off road)

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive used this stuff back before i was in the biz. it works well for a while, but the problem is it gets dry and cracks, and you have to re-apply over time. still looks good for now. im surprised noone has made a molded plastic like they use on the GM trucks.

proshop

Reaction score
I had my line-x'ed them a few days after I received the truck. Way better looking with light colored trucks.